View Single Post
Old July 3 2008, 06:32 AM   #149
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I read some Straub years ago; I forgot every word within weeks. Well, not every word; I still recollect 'and' and 'the.'
Not Shadowland or Floating Dragon, apparently.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you recommending these two books?

I've almost picked up Shadowland a couple of times.
I would recommend them, in fact -- I'd put them on a par with Stephen King's better stuff.. I haven't read much else by Straub, though I do recall his collaboration with King on The Talisman getting mixed reviews when it came out.

The two titles I named were both nicely spooky, I thought, albeit in different ways; the first deals with magic and degrees of reality and the second with laboratory experiments and altered perception. It's been many years since I've read either one, and I'd very likely read them differently now, but I certainly didn't find either of them forgettable. (In fact, I distinctly remember reading the last several chapters of Floating Dragon in one go; I was up late, couldn't put the book down and had all of the lights in the room on because it was too freaky to read in the dark. )
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote