View Single Post
Old June 20 2008, 11:53 PM   #139
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
I've tried it with black and white comics, and they turn out okay. It works best with stark contrasts, as I think it's only got about four shades--black, white and light/dark gray.
Yikes. It never even occurred to me that it was in black and white. So much for the photo album.

I could see something like that happening. It's obviously got the USB port already, though I'm not sure I would use it for something like word processing. But the option would be nice.
Well, I could see myself taking it on a hike up the Blue Hills or on vacation or something and using it to do some writing.

Some of the experimental features are interesting, the weirdest being "Kindle NowNow," which is a free "human-powered search query system." So I guess if you go "What's the registry number for Captain Kirk's U.S.S. Enterprise?" some person at Amazon looks it up in Google, then replies.
Weird indeed. That doesn't seem very efficient.

Here's a list of 100 Kindle Tips to give you more of an idea of what it can do.
Cool, thanks.

For horror thread legality, I recently picked up The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories by Robert W. Chambers. Cool Weird Tales-y stuff. Although now that I think of it, he's public domain, so now I wish I'd waited until I got the Kindle. Oh well, at least it's a nice-looking book.
That went right into my shopping cart. While reading Forbidden Planets and Tales of Mars, I'm also reading a reproduction of Tales Of Magic And Mystery from 1928. Very cool. It's also got three extra stories in the back to pad out the page count; two are from the 20s and one is from 1918!

*I got three replies before I finished this post. Here they are:

"Registry # is NCC-1701" and a link to a Wikipedia article on the Enterprise.

"The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) under the command of Captain James T. Kirk" and the same link as above.

The last is by far the best response :

"USS Enterprise NCC-1701. (Is it sad that I didn't even have to research that online?)" He/she then copies a bit of text from the Wiki article.
That's fantastic. I wonder who these people are. Just regular customer service people? They do their best to insulate their customer service from human contact, so it's kind of amazing that they'd have them doing Google searches for people.