View Single Post
Old June 20 2008, 12:08 AM   #137
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
It can do TXT and HTML, and I'm pretty sure it does Word docs, though I'd have to check. They're experimenting with PDF, but so far it seems to work just fine. I don't think chapter links work in PDF, but that may change. It remembers where you left off, anyway.
That would be important, because I have a huge number of PDFs; and some of them, like the old pulp facsimiles, have graphics, so they would lose something if converted to txt.

You can put it on with USB, or if you're lazy you can email the document to your Kindle, and the next time you turn on the wireless, it'll download. They say that they charge ten cents per email, but I've had it for a couple of weeks now, and they haven't charged me. I don't know if you get a few freebies or what.

I don't know how it compares to other eBooks. Like I said, I gravitated to this one because of the discount, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the wireless shopping, Wikipedia, etc. It's even got an experimental Web browser, and I checked out TrekBBS. They've still got a ways to go on that, though, if a site has a lot of graphics.

If you have a big enough SD card, you can put mp3s on there and listen to them. That's not really for me, though; I have a hard time listening to music as I read. I usually get too into one to notice the other.
Well, that sounds good. Not that I'd want to listen to music and read at the same time, either, but for that price the thing should do some tricks. Wiki (and general web) access, photo storage and music are all useful. If it could support a USB keyboard and word processing software, that would be nice, too.

Theonethatis wrote: View Post
I really liked The Store by Bentley Little. Its about a evil Walmart type store that takes over a small town in Arizona.
Is it fiction?