View Single Post
Old June 8 2008, 11:25 PM   #238
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post

Ramos is good at going forward but defensive wise he is still lacking and would struggle in the PL. However if he worked hard like Evra he could cut it in England. I don't see Madrid letting him go though.
Why do you think he'll struggle? He has the pace and is very strong in the air. He has better technique than a lot of midfield players. As long as he doesn't play the CB he'll be fine defensively. Maybe Ramos of a year ago would be shaky but now he is much more matured in that part of his game. He is a natural successor to Paolo Maldini albeit he plays on the right side and has more scoring nous.
I just think he's not that great when it comes to actual defending though I do think he's the best defender for Real Madrid & Spain but thats not saying much since both do leak more goals than they should.
Don't be fooled by the number of goals leaked by Real these last 2 years. Casillas is also a top GK along with Buffon and Cech. Real leak goals because they play a risky scheme with very little protection from the midfield. From the half a dozen Real games I've watched this year Ramos is a top quality defender. In two more years he could even become a top quality CB if he can cut down his tendency to make silly tackles. In fact I say CB is the position that he'll become dominant in.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote