View Single Post
Old May 30 2008, 10:36 PM   #212
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
If Arsenal can't field 4 English players in a 18 man squad (don't have to start or play) then we might as well scrap international football in England. I don't agree with Blatter but the clubs need to do more and I can't see why a compromise cannot be achieved.
We can, but you tell me Justin Hoyte deserves to be in the Arsenal side more than Bacary Sagna.

International football is artificial. People only care about it once every two years when England scrape in to a tournament. They scraped in to Euro 92 and failed to qualify for World Cup 94 when most players in the Premier League were English.

Arsenal do more to develop young players than anyone, we mix local kids up with kids from all over the world.

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
First off, it's an attack on the Premier League. Other leagues use far more "home grown" players and the rising dominance of the English clubs alarms the anti-English sentiment of FIFA, and Blatter in particular. The insulting, but accurate, implication is fielding more English players will bring down the quality of the big sides.
The fact that there's been an English side in the last four Champions League finals is scaring the crap out of FIFA. We're back. The last attempt to kill us by kicking us out didn't work, we didn't stay down. We dominated in the 80's and we're dominating again.

Secondly, Hermiod makes a point. It's less about English than "home grown". Most believe this will harm the Gunners the most. Not true. As soon as Blatter began belching out this noxious idea, and a little before, Wenger has been planning for it. Arsenal buying 16 and 17 years olds a ways from the first team, looks less head scratching when you consider it in light of the potential rule change.
FIFA will be in for a scare when the likes of Jack Wilshire, Henri Lansbury, Mark Randall, Jay Simpson, Paul Rodgers and Kieran Gibbs break in to the first team next season.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote