View Single Post
Old May 23 2008, 02:51 AM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ron Moore's 'Virtuality'

Good to know this project hasn't been killed.

An enigmatic character shows up in each and kills the humans in a gruesome way. Fortunately for the crew, being killed in virtual reality isn't fatal, just unsettling.
This might pose a problem for dramatic tension if the killings don't "count." But depending on whether Moore can get us invested in the characters enough for us to care that they're upset, then okay. Could work.

To add to the drama, the crew of the Phaeton is being watched by the folks back home, as a "reality show". The crewmembers must participate, even as the drama is kicked up a notch, lest they breach their contracts
Could be good for satire, or could be heavy handed, annoying and way too "inside baseball." I hope Moore doesn't overestimate just how much the audience cares about all the trials he's had in the TV biz (if that is the basis of the satire).

Kudos to Moore for making the gay couple male and not succumbing to the fear that it will run off the guys in the audience. (Whether or not it actually does run off the guys in the audience remains to be seen, of course. And it also remains to be seen just how chastely or otherwise their relationship is depicted. )

From the article...

In all their "modules," a mysterious figure known as the Green-Eyed Man shows up and kills the humans in gruesome ways. (Unlike in The Matrix and other scifi classics, being killed in VR doesn't harm you in real life, but it's jarring.) Is the Green-Eyed Man a hack by one of the crew members? A computer glitch? Or something else? Everybody suspects Billie, the computer geek until she's raped by the Green Eyed Man, in a brutal and horrible scene.
Since the killer is a VR creation, couldn't it be Billie after all, throwing everyone off the scent or just indulging a particularly twisted fantasy life? Moore's writing is sometimes very warped, which is a nice change of pace from the usual blandness of mainstream TV.

This premise reminds me of Dollhouse - intriguing but really makes me wonder what the dramatic core is, the what's-at-stake-and-why-do-we-care element that, done right, is the thing that makes you want to tune in each week.