View Single Post
Old April 20 2008, 10:01 PM   #449
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Shaw wrote: View Post
That would be great!

There is a lot of this stuff that I have sketched out as pencil and paper drawings, or has been eluded to in this thread but all the pieces haven't quite been put together yet that I'm hoping to make much clearer within the notebook.

Hopefully I'll be able to get caught up on my work soon and can devote a little more time to this in the near future.
I'm happy to see that the "thinking in 3D" method of turbolift design is becoming more popular!

It's really challenging when you lay out entire decks to come up with a lift system that doesn't (as David stated) bisect entire areas. Basically, you NEED to have the ability to walk/climb from any part of the ship to any other part without having to pass through the lift system at any time. And you really want the walkable portions to be the more direct, even if it means that the lift portion has to go a bit out of it's way.

It's always worth remembering that, ideally, you WANT the crew to walk rather than ride the lifts. It's a health/fitness thing. The lifts are there for carrying heavy equipment, for "I'm running late and have to be there NOW" purposes, and for "it's a red alert and I need to get to the bridge or we all die!" purposes. But they should NOT be the preferred method of transit.

No starfleet ship... not even the Galaxy.. is big enough to justify never walking to your job. I walked twice as far as the length of the Galaxy primary hull from the car dealership to my place of work, and back, several days last week (getting my A/C system refurbished after the condenser coil failed) and it was NOTHING. Had it been raining, I might've waited for the shuttle service, but c'mon... it's GOOD FOR YOU! Especially if you have a job that involves sitting at a desk (or bridge console) all day!

Of course, some officers take the lift everyplace... I'm sure that's what was behind Scotty's weight gains.