View Single Post
Old April 17 2008, 10:11 PM   #102
Section 31
Commander

Re: Sword of Damocles -- comments & opinions ****SPOILERS*****

Since I recently finished this one, I'll chime in with my $0.02.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The characters are coming together now where it no longer feels like Riker, Troi, Tuvok, some minor secondary characters we've seen once or twice, and a bunch of new people (i.e. originals like Jaza and Ra-Havreii and novel-only imports like Vale seem as much a part of the crew as the major screen characters).

The writing was fairly mature, for lack of a better term, especially for a relatively new author. It was a refreshing change after the last book I read (Before Dishonor). It took me a second to figure out who was who in the "anonymous" final scenes, but was able to piece it together fairly quick. At first, the description annoyed me, but then I thought it was kind of cool, like passing a test of how well I'd paid attention to the characterizations in the book.

One thing I was surprised by, though: Why didn't anybody think the exploding ship might be the Charon? That was actually my immediate first thought, and when Ra-Havreii finally figured it out I was like "it's about time!".

Also, I have to say that I really like the scientific and technical aspects that were part of this novel, as well as the one that preceded it (and the one I'm reading now). Although some might dismiss it as "treknobabble", adding that element gives an air of sophistication and authenticity missing from works that studiously avoid such things.

Definitely looking forward to the next book in the series!

Recently Finished: N/A

Last edited by Section 31; April 17 2008 at 10:16 PM.
Section 31 is offline   Reply With Quote