View Single Post
Old April 16 2008, 08:44 PM   #418
Shaw
Commodore

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
I'd imagine that the "spine" of this would have to be more of a conduit trunk, deeper (fore to aft), certainly, than in this (very cool) example.
Well, my first guessimate of the front and rare trunks is best seen in this sketch...

I envision the rear trunk being the main interconnect of the ships engines and power between the two hulls, while the front is a backup mainly used for supporting the secondary hull in the case of warp and impulse engine failure (so that both hulls would be receiving power from the main energizers located on deck 7 in the primary hull). I do have a power distribution and networking sketch, but haven't posted it yet.

My main issue with these plans in that the exterior hull seems so thin, especially given how thick the walls in the actual sets appeared to be.
Besides the obvious question (why in the world are you judging these sketches in any where near that detail when not a single drawing seen so far will even be part of the final project?), I will not go against what was seen in TOS for outer hull thickness (currently estimated at about 9 inches... but I haven't completed my studies of the issue as yet so I've made no attempt to display hull thickness in any accurate sense)...

... so if you want something thicker than what was seen in TOS, that falls into the do-it-yourself category. If you want something thinner (like Pike's cabin in The Menagerie remastered), that too would have to be a do-it-yourselfer.

But right now, I'm still working on an outline of the internal arrangements... there are (currently) no plans to speak of. Just sketches of ideas that are being considered for the future plans. If you are attempting to nail down a detail on a sketch which was not directly concerned with that detail, then you ventured off the path of the topic.

Please remember that everything so far is just a sketch. Would it be better if I did hand drawings? I want the ideas readable, but it seems like people are mistaking brainstorming for something that I currently don't have time to even start (less than worry about making sure that everything I am putting down in a sketch is accurate to within a fraction of an inch).

So as a general note to people... if you are overly concerned with the geometry of the ship not being absolutely perfect right now or that the hull thickness isn't what you think it should be, then you guys need to take a few steps back and remember that these are just sketches of concepts... and nothing more. In a lot of places I am using elements from things like my 3 foot Enterprise plans to fill in the blanks because I wasn't even 10% into my studies of the 11 foot model, and I really don't want to use anyone else's plans of the Enterprise for this project (though at first glance the 2.0 version of Casimiro's plans are quite nice).