View Single Post
Old April 15 2008, 11:45 AM   #403
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Shaw wrote: View Post
So looking at the reactions here have me wondering if maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. Would you guys actually be happier with something more like a manual (book type of thing) than a handful of sheets? There is tons of information here that might be better addressed in that format than just fitting it all onto a few 24" x 36" sheets.

Thoughts?

I saw in another thread that someone didn't believe that the dorsal had much in the way of room to offer, so I quickly supplemented one of my earlier sketches of the dorsal decks with this idea for an Officer's Club on Deck 9 (to match up with a string of windows on the dorsal)...

And I included an example restaurant which seats quite a few more people in a much smaller footprint as a sort of proof of concept.

Anyways, it is amazing the amount of space in the dorsal that is so often overlooked.
My only problem with what you've shown here (which is otherwise quite well-presented) is that I'm absolutely certain that the dorsal would need a LOT of mechanical structure inside of it. It can't just be a "tin can" with all of the internal structure available.

That said... your idea can still work. I just think that you need to add more, and heavier, internal structure there. That, also, from your example can be demonstrated to be worthwhile.

The tables you're using there, also as demonstrated in your example, are actually quite a bit larger than is necessary for the application you're presenting.

Beef up the structure in this area and I'd definitely buy off on your concept.