View Single Post
Old April 10 2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Re: 'Star Trek XI' Bakersfield Filming

Back in 2004, I took my family out west on a two-week driving trip. Our planned return time just happen to coincide with Riverside, IA's 20th annual Trek Fest so we stopped for it. It's a small farming community of less than 900 people and the downtown area was small but they accommodated quite a few people. It was kind of like a small county fair with a Trek theme. They had a parade with floats, a costume contest, fan-made props and sets, a crafts sale (Trek and otherwise), and in a barn they were projecting TOS episodes on a small screen. Of course they had food and some music. It was a very inviting crowd and the entire event was very Americana in its feel. I'm a bit disappointed that JJA didn't actually film there. Perhaps the townspeople don't want a film crew there, especially after the debacle that was Shatner's "Invasion: Iowa." He really pulled one over on a very nice group of people. It was embarrassing to watch how Shatner and his crew took advantage of their kindness and neighborlyness.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." -- Judge Aaron Satie