View Single Post
Old March 24 2008, 08:43 PM   #39
vedek loki
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9 should get Remastered

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
ktanner3 wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post

They would have to remaster the show for that to happen.

As has already been pointed out, since DS9, TNG and Voyager were edited on videotape - and had their EFX done on videotape - it is literally impossible to show them in HD, or to release them on Blu-Ray.

A remastering is *required* for either of those to happen. It's unavoidable.
And that's all well and good. Most of us saying no to remastering just want to make sure that the show stays the same and doesn't get the Star Wars treatment.
Not even to fix obvious errors, like the second Defiant's registry number?
Why? How does such a thing relate to the quality of the story or characters? Goofs happen on TV shows and movies. I don't like the notion that George Lucas has put in people's heads that it's OK to tamper with art/entertainment in this way. Should we fix the slightly crooked smile on the Mona Lisa, too?

My DS9 DVDs are just fine. My only complaints have been the flimsy packaging, and the lack of a "Play All Episodes" button on each disc. Having to go through two levels of menus just to start an episode, and to have to climb back out and then back in for the next episode, was a goofy idea.

But I don't need 'improved' CGI or any gaffes fixed, thanks. They don't detract from my viewing pleasure one bit.