View Single Post
Old March 19 2008, 12:28 AM   #9
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Re: Any other fans of "The Section 31 Files" here?

nickyboy wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons but felt it lost its way in the 3rd season. everyone should checkout dp's Star Trek: Lost Frontier its excellent.
Well, there's a definitive end to the main story arc at the end of season two -- Busby clearly had plotted it all out to be so, and it makes further sense that he would have wanted to end the series there. However, despite the wayward nature of the following season -- the Rura Penthe trilogy, and the four part finale -- I still found it all entertaining enough to keep.

As for Lost Frontier, yes, its good too, however I've noticed some of the same issues cropping up -- though one thing I *will* say --- Korsava IV is one hell of a busy planet!

As for Korg -- yeah, its one of those really simple, delightful coincidences in life that we get to see him on Hidden Frontier and Odyssey, and hear him on Section 31 Files and Lost Frontier. It helps immensely that Karl Puder has made the role his own and is quite entertaining to listen to and watch, but its also fun to see the fan film continuity working so well. I would have enjoyed the "Bold Venture" two-parter even more had Pioneers continued. Oh well.

Which brings me to a certain point - the crossovers and cameos. Doctor Who, Star Wars, references to the Narn, the Cylons ... all awesome, handled quite well I thought. Though I would stay away from revisiting established characters unless they can find people who sound more like the actors we know. Riker appeared once, and it was hard to imagine it being the same character. Similarly, though I love Ben Harmer's voice and his performances, it was all to easy to hear his voice rather than Martok's. The guy they got to play Archer though early on in the series -- that guy had Bakula down pat. I couldn't believe how much he sounded like him!

Finally -- and this is another point I forgot to bring up in my original post -- I like that the characters didn't just meet for the first time in the pilot. They each have backstories that intersect -- Dalonna was rescued by Korg. Mak, Judah, Bishop, and Tom Backus all served on the Defiant. Locke was Sloane's protege. It all adds a very nice texture to the universe in which Section 31 takes place, and it makes it all the more enjoyable.

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 19 2008 at 12:35 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote