Thread: James Cawley
View Single Post
Old March 18 2008, 06:23 AM   #8
TJinPgh
Captain

Re: James Cawley

Well, I've said from the start that I've never been a fan of recasts. I won't lie and say that I wouldn't be a whole lot happier if somebody were writing things for the original cast.

The biggest compliment that I can give New Voyages/Phase II is that I respect the effort that they put into it, and the great lengths they go to to keep it as close to authentic as humanly possible. As recasts go, I think Abrams could learn a lot from these guys.

I doubt I'd pay to see a big screen version of it, but the last two stories and the involvement of some of the original actors put it a step above most things Trek these days (including the movie).

Having said that, I can't say as his comments about the new film has much meaning to me. It seems that his window of knowledge about the film is extremely limited and has no real frame of reference other than his feelings about Abrams personally.

I could be cynical and say that his brief appearance in the film is akin to Richard Hatch's involvement in BSG (read "sellout") but I won't, since I don't see that as being the case here.