View Single Post
Old March 17 2008, 02:28 AM   #251
Shaw
Commodore

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
I think it's also helpful to keep in mind that, while MJ might have thought things through quite well at the begining, the show moved on in ways that he had no control over. much of the techno-babble about what was in the ship and where may not reflect how he would have prefered it to be. I see the big 'E' as a mosaic of many different artists and authors ideas, and if documentation is the name of the game, then document it all controdictions and mistakes included.
If you think I've overlooked something... point it out. What we saw gets used, what we didn't gets dropped... including the forth wall missing from three wall sets and the like. And yeah, I'll be putting together all the different versions of the engine room, which you can mix and match at will.

But there is nothing stopping anyone from doing this type of thing on their own... and better than I.

I happen to think that a lot of stuff has been overlooked because we have assumed others have already weeded that information out for us. I looked that the Trek Encyclopedia and see that they deferred to FJ on a lot of stuff (including much of the deck layout for the original Enterprise). What I don't see is people asking the questions that we would have asked had people not attempted to fill in blanks that weren't really blank.

For example, what Star Fleet ships were we exposed to in TOS? There are a bunch of lists going around, but they all seem to reference someone else's list.

What did we see? What did we hear?

Known ships:
U.S.S. Constellation NCC-1017 (Doomsday Machine)
U.S.S. Carolina (Friday's Child)
U.S.S. Defiant (Tholian Web)
U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701
U.S.S. Excalibur (Ultimate Computer)
U.S.S. Exeter (Omega Glory)
U.S.S. Farragut (Obsession)
U.S.S. Hood (Ultimate Computer)
U.S.S. Intrepid (Court Martial, Immunity Syndrome)
U.S.S. Lexington (Ultimate Computer)
U.S.S. Potemkin (Ultimate Computer)
U.S.S. Republic NCC-1371 (Court Martial)
U.S.S. Valiant (A Taste of Armageddon)
U.S.S. Yorktown (Obsession)
And we had some additional NCC numbers which have been creatively matched up with ship names (some of which never made it to screen). Now why is it that this type of information isn't just presented raw? What we usually get is information interpreted for us, but it would be nice if we could make the interpretations ourselves.

On the subject of what FJ felt or didn't feel about Trek and it's creators, he made public statements and that is the best I can go on as most of the parties are no longer with us. Most of what I've talked about was during the period of FJ making the blueprints and manual and are based on his own accounts. What did he feel at other times? I don't know, a lot of time past between about 1975 and when these people left us. Just about anything could have happened... none of which makes all that much difference here as this is about the set plans, diagrams, stuff seen on screen, and the model (the 11 foot model).

I'm not writing the biography of any of these people, just seeing if the pieces we have fit together... And so far they seem to.