View Single Post
Old March 8 2008, 05:41 AM   #5
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: SFWA Nebula Award Nomination Controversy

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I'm not sure I agree with you. The movie was written, directed and produced by show business professionals and had many professional actors in it. It just wasn't produced by a major movie studio. It was an independant film with the copywright holders sanction attached to it.
As James Cawley himself has pointed out, this is not so. And the fact that pros worked on it is irrelevant. If Kobe Bryant plays a pickup game on the streets of L.A., and brings along his teammates, that doesn't make it an NBA game. For that matter, if I write fanfiction, it's still fanfiction.

Besides I wonder if Keith would argue this if Stephen King were nominated for a novel he wrote that he had printed by a vanity publisher. Would he argue that it wasn't a professional novel just because it wasn't published by any of the major book companies?
I wouldn't, but not for the reason you think. See, the prose sections of the Nebula don't have that caveat. Fanfiction can be nominated for (and possibly win) a Nebula. Only the Best Script category has the qualifier that the script must be professionally produced.

This has nothing to do with the fan films and their quality, this has to do with SFWA and its rules of eligibility for the Nebulas.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."