View Single Post
Old March 5 2008, 02:39 PM   #73
Christopher
Writer

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Which may have been planted in the calendar on purpose, so a future novel could pick up the thread. Remember, Marco once had DS9 Relaunch characters dropped into a Wildstorm comic mini-series ("DS9: n-Vector"), and a novel duology ("TNG: Maximum Warp"), as a sort of preview of "Avatar".

Of course, this is just my personal speculation.
But somehow your speculations seem to be getting wilder and wilder lately. You're reading hidden motives and secret plans into everything that happens in the book line.

The calendar images are created by Hollywood special-effects artists based on what they want to see. The only reason Pocket is able to do these calendars at all is because these busy, high-paid creators are willing and eager to participate, so they're given a lot of creative freedom to come up with whatever they want, rather than being given marching orders by the editors. If something comes along in a book that's based on an image in the calendars, it's far more realistic to conclude that the writer or editor was inspired by a really cool calendar image.

Heck, I've certainly given some thought to figuring out ways to work a SotL image or two into my fiction. And it wouldn't be the first time that a story was inspired by a piece of artwork. There have been cases where magazine editors have commissioned authors to write stories based on pre-existing illustrations or paintings. (See DS9's "Far Beyond the Stars.")

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote