Thread: 3D Software?
View Single Post
Old March 4 2008, 03:21 PM   #124
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan
Re: 3D Software?

Hi, i havnt posted anything in the art forum for ages and ages, been really busy since leaving college.

Anyways, work has eased off a bit and i have had some time to tinker around with my old software and new ones.

I doubt anyone will remember my TOS command chair project from a while ago, well, for that i was using Rhinoceros, a nurbs modelling software which has been mentioned in this thread near the beginning.

Having not used any 3d modelling software for about 9 months, i blew the dust off of Rhino and installed it onto my new computer, which then prompted me to update, so i did.

Now, the new Rhino is a lot different, some functions are gone which shouldve stayed but alas, more advanced functions have taken their place.

The rendering is a lot smoother and quicker, the texturing tools have also been revised and are a lot better.

Its still the basic no-frills nurbs modelling but it has been greatly improved since i last used it.

I use it primarily for basic 3d sketching now, building basic, bog-standard models to see how a design might look once finnished, i then start from scratch using lightwave. I import the sketch from rhino into lightwave and work with it to get the final look etc.

I have loads of really basic sketches, they all kinda look like the Klingon D-7 from TOS, no surface detail etc etc, very very basic.

But, i now use lightwave or occasionally maya depending on my mood or what specific function i need for a certain render etc.

But, if you want basic nurbs, go for rhino, its easy and you can get some really fantastic results (depending how persistent you are)

Chris.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote