View Single Post
Old February 16 2008, 12:10 AM   #70
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Cary L. Brown said:
I agree with Arlo. Think of the actual physical walking distance... and is the lost space worth it to save walking the distance from one end of your house to the other?

David, I'd really consider (it's YOUR project, this is a suggestion, realize!) splitting up the "loop" on deck six. IE, have two of the quadrants on deck six and two of them on deck seven (just for example). You get the benefit of a loop, but there's NO portion of the deck which is ISOLATED.

Just my 2cents...
I'm glad someone else has this concept in mind. Prior too having all my data trapped on a dead drive, this is exactly what I did with my AutoCAD deck plans, which I'm currently having to redevelop from scratch, starting with redrafting the ship.

Another thing to consider with these deckplans in the incredibly thick walls TOS used. People often complain that the ship wastes too much space via the large corridors, but I'd wager that most of the ship's machinery and structural framework is actually crammed into the walls, which not only keeps them safe from accidental damage, but also creates room for mission-specific equipment, or cargo space (as we saw in TAS, they didn't seem to mind leaving those quadrotriticale canisters lying around in those huge corridors.)

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!