View Single Post
Old February 15 2008, 11:08 AM   #97
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction

The Cinema Insomnia version of Frankenstein vs. the Creature from Blood Cove was a mixed bag. It didn't have the stripping scenes that (in my opinion) bring the film to a screeching halt every time. It also cut out most of the gay make-up artist's lines, which I didn't expect, though I guess I should have. Since these were the two annoying aspects of the film for me, it was interesting to watch this "edited" version.

That said, this version would be kind of confusing to someone who hasn't seen the original, because it seems like the make-up artist had a few key lines of exposition. It makes some of the events in the movie seem pretty random. But at least I didn't have to watch him lisp about how much he loveth a good thucker.

I like the spirit of the movie, and most of it is a lot of fun, but I wish Winckler didn't assume that his audience needs the stripping, and that his humor where gays are concerned wasn't stuck in an '80s B-comedy.

On of the fun parts of Cinema Insomnia's treatment was that they played it like it was an election pitting Frankenstein's monster against the Creature. They had attack ads, and even had actors in cheap costumes performing a debate. ("Military gooooood...!")

That was a lot of fun.

Bride of Frankenstein: Pandora's Bride was not fun. I think it was the most disappointing of the Dark Horse/Universal Monsters books for me so far. But more on that later.