View Single Post
Old February 13 2008, 05:04 AM   #27
therealfoxbat
Commander

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

ancient said:
There are a few problems with going with that sketch.

-The Windows get really interesting on the engine hull. There are two rows on one deck, others in really weird positions.

-Fitting 430 people in there? Yeah...no.

-Saucer comes down to one deck thick at the rim, by the looks of it. Again, two rows of windows...one buried in the deck division.

I know Jefferies's ideas and what ended up on screen often conflicted. So, are you going purely on Jefferies and assuming 200 crew, etc, or are you doing a more series-based ship?

I've tried both ways. I just put the turbolift in the fricking back of the bridge, where it belonged on the Jefferies version. All the bridge 'gymnastics' started because the series conflicted with Jefferies's basic design theory once they started moving stuff around.

Fitting 430 people in the Constitution class should be no problem. Look at the first picture on this thread. The CVN-65 has a crew of well over 5,000 (Ship's Company 3,350 + Air Wing 2,480 = 5,830 according to the US Navy website at www.navy.mil).

The saucer hull is two decks thick at the rim. It narrows to one deck thick a little ways in from the rim before expanding as you go further into the center.

You're probably right about the ship's layout getting all hinky once production started. It's anything goes with these people. I live in Las Vegas. We have all kinds of laughs about how Dan Tanna and Con Air screwed with the geography around here...

I really DO have a squirrelly wrath, you know...