View Single Post
Old February 12 2008, 01:24 PM   #16
therealfoxbat
Commander

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Cary L. Brown said:
therealfoxbat said:I don't know if this will help, but in the DS9 episode "Trials And Tribble-ations" they actually came out and said the Constitution class has 21 decks...
That's not NECESSARILY a "show stopper" when doing something like this.

My perspective tends to be that a "deck" must be a contiguous, uninterrupted area. In my case, I often will have a "Deck14A" and a "Deck14B" to represent two areas on the same level but in entirely unjoined areas in that particular cross-section.

The question becomes... are those "two subsections of one deck" or are they two distinct decks? Honestly, I'd be more inclined to accept them as two distinct decks... I did it the way I've done it largely due to my desire to make my ships fit with established Trek Canon (tm).

That said... we've also seen ships described as having decks identified by numbers, or at other times the same ship decks are identified by letters. (For instance, the bridge is on Deck 1, but the two decks below that are called "B deck" and "C deck" more often than they're called "Deck Two" and "Deck 3.")

SO... another approach might be to have, for instance, the primary hull be by deck numbers and the secondary hull by deck LETTERS... thus giving you an even more clear manner of identifying which part of the ship you're talking about.

It's worth noting that David's drawing has 19 levels... but that there are two more levels in the primary hull which are disconnected from their "matching" levels in the secondary hull/dorsal, so technically this ship DOES have 21 decks as he's drawn it.

As Obi-wan would say... "From a certain point of view..."

Just trying to contribute what I can...

I would have done something like this myself, except for the fact that I ***SUCK*** at drawing...

I've done a considerable amount of measurement (exterior line schematics from various sources, mostly the Star Trek Encyclopedia) and math along a similar subject and a pattern emerged. Most Federation ships from the TOS period through the late TNG period seem to have a consistent average value for deck height...

If you accept the Constitution class at a length of 288.6 meters/947 feet (which the Star Trek Encyclopedia does, so I go with that), its overall height is 72.6 meters/238 feet. Remove the warp nacelles, and its deck height is 68.9 meters/226 feet, which is divided among 21 decks.

The Galaxy class has a listed height of 137.5 meters/451 feet, divided among 42 decks. (The warp nacelles do not extend above the highest deck or below the lowest one.)

The Sovereign class has a listed height of 83.5 meters/274 feet, with a deck height (minus the warp nacelles) of 78.6 meters/258 feet, divided among 24 decks.

This results in an average deck height of 3.281 meters for the Constitution, 3.274 meters for the Galaxy and 3.275 meters for the Sovereign. Obviously, there would have to be allowances for factors like hull curvature, so these figures would not be absolute. They do fit together pretty nicely, though...

The other Enterprise designs fit into this pattern just as neatly, if you assume that the Constitution Refit (TMP) class has 22 decks, the Excelsior class has 23 decks and the Ambassador class has 38 decks. However, there is nothing in the canon source material that either confirms or denies these assumptions.

Also, since I haven't done any interior vertical spacing, I'm not sure if these figures will perfectly match certain portions of the outline, or if some stuff (like the upper height of the secondary hull) would have to be tweaked to fit.

That's what I came up with. Feel free to use it if you like...

I really DO have a squirrelly wrath, you know...