View Single Post
Old February 11 2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Shaw
Commodore

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Cary L. Brown said:
Looking at this, it would APPEAR that you're taking some of the set diagrams (from the stage layouts) and using those to place them into the ship interior. Is that correct?

Also... it would appear that you're using the "versus the carrier" diagram as the scaling reference instead of EITHER of the two most accepted lengths (947 or 1080 feet). It's intriguing to note that, give what you've shown so far, the bridge and the bridge turbolift DO seem to fit into the model without any of the "gymnastics" folks around here sometimes go through. SO... what's the length you're working from as of now?
What I did was I started with the plans at 33.75 inches and scaled them up to 947 feet (at 1 foot = 3 pixels for these test fits), I then went to this page on the Carrier Enterprise to get info on that ship (and my diagram is basically a tracing of the one on that page). It said that the carrier was currently 1,101 feet, so I scaled my tracing to that length. And yeah, it turns out remarkably similar to the Jefferies comparison diagram (though I have everything pointing the other direction).

I have set plans for a number of the shows (including some of the redressed set layouts), and cropped out the individual rooms and corridors and scaled them to the same 1 foot = 3 pixels of the other diagrams.

I've actually thought about just providing the basic deck outlines, all of the needed (and known) types of rooms to the same scale on another sheet, and then let people print everything out, cut out the rooms and fit them into the deck outlines however they see fit... and I may still do that, just for people who would find that sort of thing fun to try (sort of the ultimate TOS puzzle ).

What was most amazing to me when doing this was the elevation views of the briefing room, officer's quarters and corridor from the set plans actually fit with how Jefferies had spaced the decks out. On set, the ceiling heights are 10 feet... which is way more than will fit in the Joseph plans. But they fit nicely here, which I'm thinking must be more than just coincidence.

There are a lot of areas that I just don't have any good references on, so rather than make stuff up, I'll just leave those spaces open. Who knows, maybe someone else will come around with that info and can fill in the blanks.

The other thing to note is that I am making use of my conjectural Jefferies' construction plans for the model rather than plans of either actual model as built. My guess is that Jefferies would have been more likely to use copies of the drawings given to Richard Datin rather than try to figure out how the final models differed from what he had originally put to paper.

USS Jack Riley said:
Let me know if you need the pics, and I will send them to you. Or I can get of my lazy backside and open up a digital photo account and post them here directly.
That sounds great! But don't rush on this because of me, I most likely won't be able to invest any amount of quality time on this until April or so.

But thanks a ton for the offer! :thumbsup: