View Single Post
Old January 23 2008, 01:49 AM   #647
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

You're right Jan, about the material in the script books, of course, but Mal does make a point with a certain amount of legitimacy. As cool as they are, the books are a bit overpriced. I'm not saying JMS should lower the prices of the books--he's self-publishing and probably barely breaking even on these things. I'm just saying it's a shame that economics has dictated they cost 40 dollars apiece. If they were 20 or 25, I'd be less hesitant to pick them up (I have two right now, volumes 1 and 12), but at the current price (and even the reduced price of 30) they're just a little more than I'm willing to spend on them. In addition, the fact that the books are 39.99, when so many cafepress coupons start offering discounts on orders over 40.00 is a little bit frustrating.

If cafepress ever has a decent coupon again, I'll look into them, though. These books really are fantastic, and I would have them all if money was no object. Alas...

Speaking of books, I've finally finished the third book in the Psi Corp Trilogy.

"Final Reckoning: The Fate of Bester"

This is by far the best book in the series. It's doesn't have to deal with a great mass of telepath backstory, or excessive references to telepaths in the series like the first two books (which are still very good in themselves), and as a result the pacing is spot on throughout. Surprisingly, this book makes you not only empathize with Bester, as the second book does, but it also makes you sympathize with him. I loved it when the series added shades of grey to Bester's character (sadly, it happened far to rarely in my opinion), and this book does wonderful things with the character. It also is an interesting look at Garibaldi and his obsession over Bester's capture.

It also fills in a *few* gaps about the telepath war. We know Lyta dies in the war, and that Bester is somehow responsible for her death (according to Garibaldi, anyway). We know Bester is on the run. Still, I wish we'd get another Lost Tale filling in the story gaps with that.

If I had any objection, it would be that the character of Girard is too interesting for his own good. He reminds me of Frank Black from Millennium (at least, in season one) and would certainly be interesting to explore further, though that would be a story quite different from the norm of Babylon 5. As he is, I'd have preferred him to be in the novel either more to further develop him or less in order to give Garibaldi a bit more to do. But a minor complaint with an otherwise fantastic book.

Grade: A+

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote