View Single Post
Old January 21 2008, 02:57 AM   #175
Wingsley
Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

All I can say is, I hope the image isn't really used in the movie.

It still is not clear to me if this movie is supposed to be a canon-prequel or a reimagine/remake.

If it is a canon-prequel based on TOS, I hope they nix the overdone aztecing and give the ship the TOS look, with a more moderate dose of hull detail and the block lettering for the "NCC", etc. It would not have to look *exactly* the same, but if it is a canon-prequel, it should be very close, not like the TMP/refit Enterprise.

If, on the other hand, the new movie is a remake, then the "look" of the "new" ship is nowhere near as important as what the "new" ship and characters stand for. It all depends on what's in-bounds and out-of-bounds for a remake. I hope it doesn't come across as another GALACTICA. In fact, it would be interesting if the new show were a remake that is not "mean" like GALACTICA. If the characters stand for principles like the Prime Directive, then this could be a very refreshing twist in the evolution of the TREK franchise.

It's been suggested that this movie may be a little bit of both. I hope not. Either it should be a canon-prequel that takes TOS seriously or it should be a remake that takes principles behind TREK seriously.