View Single Post
Old January 19 2008, 07:05 PM   #120
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Brutal Strudel said:
Arlo said:
^ The point is, the visuals in the teaser are metaphorical (ya know "under construction"), and as such they're using modern imagery. Within that context, it is done appropriately.
In that interview, Orci seems to take it pretty literally.
WELL... yes and no. He tap-danced around certain key points.

There was only ONE thing he said that grated on my nerves... the damned "my cell phone is more advanced that Kirk's communicator" which is just an indication that he, like the majority of people out there, have no idea how their neat new toys actually WORK.

The one major thing that's missing from the mix in this movie... or in their "supreme court"... is anyone who actually understands science and technology. They need a Jesco Von Puttkamer type as science advisor. That's one thing that Roddenberry did for TMP that was INCREDIBLY SMART. He got a guy who was not part of the film industry at all... who cared ONLY about getting the science right. That guy was one of Roddenberry's advisors. And because of him... we got a TMP that was, on the scientific/technical side, extremely believable (though the amount of thought that A. Probert and others put into the design of the newly built ship didn't hurt!) Whatever flaws you may see in TMP, they're not scientific/technical ones.

Orci may think that... but if he had someone, well, like ME in that "supreme court," he'd have already known better and would never have said such an ignorant thing. ("ignorant" means "not having all the facts"... it's not the same as "stupid" which means "unable to understand")

Other than that, I liked the interview (the typos weren't HIS problem... he was speaking, the interviewer is the one who typoed!).

He definitely avoided mentioning where this was happening... and he did HINT that it was the COMPONENTS, not the total ship, that were being constructed.

I have no problem with his "require gravity to balance" bit... I can actually imagine how that might be useful... hard to ensure balanced forces if you have no forces to balance against, after all... MANY processes are better done in zero gravity (growing silicon crystals, for instance, or clarifying liquids) but others require gravity to work properly (metal refinement comes to mind... if done in space, you'd need a massive centrifuge to do what you get for FREE in on a planetary surface!).
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote