View Single Post
Old January 19 2008, 06:11 PM   #112
Ptrope
Agitator

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

ancient said:
I am disappointed that we won't see the Original ship on the big screen...ever, it looks like.
Actually, we did, with the theatrical presentation of "The Menagerie" a couple months ago. And despite what we've been told, I think it held up pretty well on the big screen. Not to say it couldn't have been improved with a bit of TLC, but it certainly didn't need wholesale remodeling in order to make the grade.
Mariner Class said:
Let me set my feelings on this straight:

I would never accept a carbon copy of the 1701 from the original show for this movie, at least not as the ship that Kirk first encounters. It as if the new 2008 Camaro was just a rebadged 1969 Camaro RS (which I personally would have preferred, but even I would call that lazy.)
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this - and I'm famous for my automotive analogies . Why couldn't Kirk first encounter a carbon copy - or at least a ship that is clearly the original ship and not simply based upon its silhouette? When we talk about automotive analogies, I'd go with the new Dodge Challenger more than the Camaro - the 2008 has nearly every line of the 1970 original in evidence, and yet not one single line is common between the two cars; they've managed to make a clean, modern car without abandoning what made the original a classic, retaining the details in spirit even though they don't actually match the original blueprints. This is what I love about Vektor's latest model of Enterprise: it's clearly the original ship, not the motion picture version, not a BSG version, nor anything else, even though it probably doesn't share a single line or contour with the TV model.

The new 2008 Camaro is a TMP Enterprise, and from what I see in this one shot of the 2008 Enterprise, it is, too. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - the TMP ENT was my favorite version of the Gray Lady until last week. But I disagree with any assertion that the real, original design of the ship is somehow implausible in this day and age and on the big screen; it just needs a little tweaking, not reimagining.