View Single Post
Old January 19 2008, 11:45 AM   #16
Kaziarl
Commodore

Re: series 6,, what will it be like

Broccoli said:
Kaziarl said:
Well, as much as I'd hate to say it, other then fan produced movies and stories, I'm thinking trek is going to be dead for a while. We might get a show that is similar to it, but not quite the same.
Doubtful.

1) Pocket Books is still going strong with no signs of slowing.

2) New comics being produced. Trek comics always seem to be going on. Granted, they have changed hands a number of times over many years, but there is usually not more than a year lull between new ones.

3) New movie coming out. If anything that doesn't suggest "dead" to me. And that movie also has had some pretty good internet buzz/anticipation. Granted, the movie might be bad. However, I get the feeling that it'll sell enough tickets to warrant a sequel (I could be wrong about ticket sales, but I think it is more likely it'll do financially well than not).

There will always be a new desire for more Trek. Even if Trek '08 bombs, TPTB will try to find a new way to market it.

Ok, let me be more descriptive in my statements. Believe me, I love trek. I've watched it for as long as I can remember, and I don't want to see it go. But from my point of view trek is dwindling.

1)The books are great, I read all the ones I can get my hands on, but there really aren't any original stories. And what used to be two, or even three new books a month, has slowed down quite considerably.

2) The show. Granted, ENT wasn't the shortest, but it's a step down from how long TNG, DS9, and VOY lasted. I was hoping for more, even to the last couple of episodes I was thinking it still had a chance, but the one thing that could have saved it didn't happen. The one thing that saved TOS from being taken off the air after one season, didn't save ENT. No one seemed to care.

3)The movie, I pray to the gods that its going to be better then nemesis. I had probably higher hopes for nemesis then most. I was thinking it would be a closer look into the romulan culture, instead we get an adolescent temper tantrum turned into an attempt to rebel against the man who was essentially his father. Now we have the possability of a young kirk telling his academy instructors where to stick it in a space aged Alpha Centari Hills-90210. If it goes that way, I dont see a lot in the way of tv or movie versions of star trek being made.

Like I said, I really hope that doesn't happen. I myself have ideas on what I would like to see for season 6, as I've posted here. I just wish there was a way we could get paramount to come read the boards, cause there are a lot of great ideas. Here and in the fan fic, and fan production boards.