View Single Post
Old January 19 2008, 04:59 AM   #140
Capt.April
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek Teaser - Grading and Disscusion

Franklin said:
slappy said:
Kegek said:

Not so fond on the guys with goggles welding stuff, though. Somehow it looks too modern.
I dug that part, it was my favorite aspect of the whole trailer. I've always had a soft spot for Trek (and future sci-fi in general) that looked to the future with details from past. Kirk's antique glasses, breaking a champagne bottle on the hull, I love that type of thing.
I agree about the anachronisms used in "Star Trek".

Except this time, given the apparent theme of the teaser, perhaps the welders were meant to be laborers from the 1960s rather than from the from the future. The workers from one era contructing the new future and all.

But let's be honest, the whole payoff is the glimpse of the Enterprise. We already knew there was going to be a movie. What we wanted was to "see a bit of ankle." And that's what we got.
In the Trek history of the future remember Earth has gone through WW3 along with other huge upheavels of probably cultural and economic conflicts ("the post atomic horror"). One thing I thought Enterprise did not do well was to show the future as well as say the TMP novel. Enterprise was too America centered, it looked like it was too linear with todays world. In a couple of hundred years after wars and econonomic collapse and rebuilding and restructuring there may be a mix of old and new. A guy welding with a stick welder, possibly fusion powered two pieces of starship plating made of materials that we could only guess at could be quite feasible.

Two things that will change the world:
1. Fusion power
2. Matter teleportation/manipulation

A world with these two inventions would probably be unrecognizable to us, we're 17th century people looking at the year 2000. Ben Franklin would probably be a little disapointed though looking under the hood of Ford F-150 truck that we're still using pistons to move the darn thing.

'Stick Welder'....yea cool. But i wonder what it's attatched to?

Sorry for the ramble...Loved the trailer, I want it in HD!