View Single Post
Old January 19 2008, 12:46 AM   #306
JBElliott
Commander

Re: Enterprise Pic

Jackson_Roykirk said:
BorgusFrat said:
Jackson_Roykirk said:
...but JBElliot, what's wrong with welding? It's the most effective and modern way we have today of joining two metals together, and I would think it would continue to be in practice (in some form) 240 years from now.
Dude, no offense, but seriously -- if you really and truly think that something as "today" as welding will survive into the 23rd century as a means of constructing starships made out of who-knows-what advanced materials and that such a construction method would hold fast during something as fantastical as "warp flight" that's hundreds of times the speed of light...
No offense taken, but how would you fuse two materials together?...Glue? Mechanical fasteners? (i.e. nuts and bolts/rivets)? Seriously -- I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but you are either going to glue, soldier, mechanically fasten -- or you can intrisically bond the two materials together (this is welding).

If a weld is done properly, the weld itself is at least as strong or even stronger that the materials being joined. A proper weld turns two pieces into virtually one piece. I suspect different welding techniques will be developed in the future that would make welds even stronger and more efficient to execute than the techniques we use today, but it would still be welding.

Maybe that guy in the teaser was using some futuristic "molecular welder" (I can't tell since I don't know what one looks like). Or maybe the whole teaser is just a metaphor symbolizing that this film is "under construction" and the welder is not meant to be a 23rd century starship builder at all, but just part of the "this film is under construction" metaphor.

Either way, I don't have a problem with the use of a welder.

cheers
I wouldn't bother fastening two pieces of metal together at all. I'd just create the metal in a single piece in the desired shape and size. This could be done via transporter as I mentioned previous which beams the piece into existence en mass free of any defects. Or it could be done using nanotech where nanomachines build the metal piece by stacking up the atoms in the proper places. Or it could be grown somehow in an extrapolation of how computer chips are grown today. Whatever the case, the likelyhood of a civilization with warp technology and transporter technology and phaser technology having to weld together many, many, many, many pieces of metal to make the hull of a starship is infinitesimal.