View Single Post
Old January 18 2008, 09:40 AM   #40
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

After studying this image a little more it looks like there is the same kind of cowling around the bussard collector's that Gabriel Koerner's enterprise has. Maybe it's just a trick of perspective but that's what it seems like to me.

I'd also like to give my two cents with regards to Vance's comment that the movie will flop based on this image alone because it doesn't look exactly like the original.

I grew up watching TOS reruns in the 70s and 80s and one of the first things about the show that grabbed me was the Enterprise herself. I fell in love with her. She was like an un-credited member of the cast. I also remember how excited I was at seeing Trials and Tribbleations because we finally got to see her in much better film quality. Suffice it to say that I love the Enterprise and all of the characters and actors who made up TOS.

No one can ever replace TOS but I think everyone can agree that Star Trek didn't get the run it deserved back when it originally aired. And as much as I like the movies I have always wanted to see more adventures of Kirk and the gang back in their heyday so I am looking forward to seeing what they can do with this movie. Now obviously to do this everyone will need to be recast, which of course they have done. Does Quinto look exactly like Nimoy? No. Does Pine look exactly like Shatner? No. Does this mean I won't be able to tell who they are when I see them onscreen? Of course not! So if we are recasting all of the actors I think it only makes sense to recast the Enterprise as well. Will she look exactly like the original? No. Will I recognize her as the Enterprise when I see her onscreen? I think the answer to that one is pretty obvious. If you are willing to accept the recasting of all the original characters I see no reason why you can't accept the recasting of the Enterprise too. Just because she looks different doesn't automatically make it bad.

As others have said, the mainstream movie going public doesn't pick up on all the minute details that us hard core trek fans do. They'll see two nacelles sticking out of a cylinder and a saucer attached to that cylinder by a neck and say "Oh, that's the Enterprise." It's the same with famous pieces of architecture like the Eiffel Tower or the Pyramids, all you need to do is draw a few lines and you can instantly recognize what it is. It doesn't matter what the details are.

I have a few more arguments but I think I'll save those for any rebuttals I may have.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote