View Single Post
Old January 18 2008, 05:41 AM   #233
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Re: Enterprise Pic

TrekkieMonster said:
scotthm said:
TrekkieMonster said:
As to the comments about it looking like Gabe's model, I agree where the coloring is concerned, but that's about it. Otherwise, what I'm seeing here looks much closer to the original series model than Gabe's significant reimagined version.
And it looks just the opposite to me.

The front of the nacelles looks almost identical to Koerner's design, and the upper saucer is dramatically different from the TOS Enterprise.

---------------
I know the conversation has gone well beyone this by now, but after getting home from work and looking at the pic on my own monitor I felt I needed to note that, now, I too can see a definite Gabe influence.

You're all definitely right about the "bulginess" of the forward end of the nacelles, just behind the bussards. Just about identical. Likewise the general shape of the saucer, itself, down to what someone up-thread described as a "step" below the traditional B/C deck teardrop construct.
Actually, the 'steps' are quite different. On Gabe's, it's a difference in the gradiant, but it still flows from the saucer. On the Abramprise, it's at a sharp angle and has a sharper chamfer. Also, it's inset so that it's lying on a flat surface.

The only real similarities that I see to Gabe's version is the nacelle's and the slightly more solid intercooler (though Gabe's doesn't flow into the hull nearly so much). Of course, this is based off of saying maybe 20% of the ship; who knows, the secondary hull might be completely different!

Which is why I'm withholding judgment on the design as a whole, until I see the entire thing. I do admit that I like what I see a good bit--I was half afraid that we'd get an overgreebled Star Wars-like monstrosity, or something like BSG, which works for that show but not Trek IMO--but until we see more of the ship, it's pointless to try and say whether or not we like it or not.