View Single Post
Old January 16 2008, 05:03 PM   #185
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: What would have improved Voyager?

Angel4576 said:
exodus said:
Voyager is the type of show you pop on if you don't want the heavy intellectual drama of TNG or the dark moody feel of DS9. It was made for a sci-fi crowd that liked Xena, which was all the rage at the time. Voyager was designed to capture a crowd that normally found Trek boring & humorless.

Is it so wrong to try and make Trek cool?
Star Trek that appeals to the Xena crowd, wasn't that Andromeda?

I take the original point though. TNG's first two seasons really do it no favours. Whilst there are some episodes of Voyager that I like though, there's nothing approaching the likes of The Offspring, Measure of a Man, The Inner Light etc. Voyager, to me, mostly seemed to be quite bland, occasionally raising itself above it's average, and occasionally dipping to trawl the depths.
I think "Latent Image" comes very close to "The Measure of Man".

Honestly, I can't ever remember now what "The Offspring" was about. Is that the one with Data's daughter?

In all fairness, how many spin off shows ever come close to be equal to the original? The Jefferson's, Maude & Good Times were all good but didn't compare to the following All In the Family had. Same goes with M*A*S*H* and Trapper John or the CSI's & Law & Orders.

After 7 years of TNG & DS9, the writers were just to burnt out.