View Single Post
Old January 5 2008, 02:04 AM   #64
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction

Summer of Night was excellent. It may be the best modern horror novel I read in 2007. Not only does Simmons accurately capture the feel of boyhood, but there's some great, spooky atmosphere in this novel, as well as some really disturbing parts. I'm looking forward to A Winter Haunting, and I've also picked up Children of the Night, which is his take on Dracula and vampires.

My wife and In-Laws spoiled me with horror books and DVDs for Christmas. Check out this haul:

The Terror, also by Dan Simmons.
Universal Horrors: The Studio's Classic Films, 1931-1946. This large book has great write-ups, trivia, etc. about the films.
World War Z by Max Brooks.
Frankenstein's Bride by Hilary Bailey.

For DVDs:
American Silent Horror Collection--Great set.
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Ultimate Edition) Enough said, really.
Nosferatu (The Ultimate Two-Disc Edition)--This is a brand new restoration, and it's a stunner. In my opinion, this is now the version of the film to own. The F.W. Murnau Foundation really did some good work cleaning it up.

It's funny that I got so many silent films at Christmas. (These are just the horror ones. I also got Metropolis. And in the non-silent, non-horror vein, I got The Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen - Legendary Science Fiction Series and Planet of the Apes - The Legacy Collection. Between all of these, I may have to start up Caption This! again.)

I'm a really, really happy husband and son-in-law.