View Single Post
Old December 26 2007, 01:39 PM   #179
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

Re: TBBS Fanfic Recommendations

I've always felt it was bad manners to come into someone's house and smack them in the face with a dead fish--which in a way is what you did, DrGojira. As pointed out above, if someone wanted to open up a polite, non-insulting thread regarding fan writing, that would be more than welcome and would probably get me involved. The problem is though, that I'm not sure there's anything we could say that could sway your opinion--your mind appears to be made up all we would have would be a back and forth with nothing being accomplished.

The thing is DrGojira, if you got the chance to get to know us through our comments and our stories, you might be surprised at what you'd find. You say we should read the classics. Ok, I happen to love the classics: Livy, Polybius, Thucydides, Shakespeare, Ovid, Dickens, A. C. Doyle, and I can go on. I also enjoy the literary science fiction classics: Wells, Anderson, Dickson, Poul, Asimov, Silverberg, Ellison, Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, and again I can go on. And yes, I do use some of their themes and ideas in my work. That's not original you say? Well, Shakespeare took the theme and plot for Romeo and Juliet from Pyramus and Thisbe. He also 'borrowed' quite from other myths and tales in his other plays. If it was good enough for the bard, it's good enough for me.

Many of us have also been published elsewhere: academic journals, New Voyages, and in other print media. So, why do we do this? Why do we write fan fiction in general and Trek fiction specifically? Because it's FUN! We enjoy playing in the Trek universe, we love our characters, and we like entertaining others with our stories. What's so horrible about that?

As Crackers aka Starkers pointed out, Generalizations are stupid--although I would clarify that statement by saying at times they are a necessary evil because there are times you actually do have to generalize. There are all sorts of fan fiction out there. Some of it is...not very good. Some of it cannot be distinguished from published works by professionals--in fact, I would content that those stories are better than some published works. And you have all sorts of stories in between.

The key is to keep an open mind. If you've already decided, then any sort of discussion is an exercise in futility and you might find a more comfortable environment in one or more of the other categories of this board--there's a little something for every Trek and scifi fan here.