View Single Post
Old November 14 2007, 05:01 AM   #11
rgb1701
Captain

Re: Menagerie, re-mastered on the Big Screen

I just returned home from the Livonia, Michigan showing.

A coworker and his wife came along with my wife. The show was sold out, but it was a smallish theater in a typical 20 screen megaplex.

While I had fun watching Menagerie on a big public screen with other fans, I was disappointed with the "extras" and the technical presentation.

As far as I could tell, most of the "extras", except for Rodenberry's son, have been at

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original...2461&sr=8-2

for weeks, which I watched weeks ago. Dingleberry, er, Son of Rodenberry, didn't say anything I hadn't heard before- he would have been interesting had he contributed new tidbits for us LONG time fans who've Heard It All.

The digital projector they used in our venue had FAR too little resolution- it was at most a 1024x768 XGA projector- I counted and estimated the pixels, which were easily visible from our seats. My home Epson Cinema 400 puts out more resolution and contrast than what they used. I looked back at the projection booth, and saw they used a boardroom-style LCD projector, sitting next to the (what I assume was) the film projector. I was expecting a commercial grade DLP or DILA, or 1080p LCD.

While the "remastered' FX were nice, the "restored" film elements were FAR from fully "cleaned up"- FAR too often I still saw dirt and scratches in the image, obviously from the original film media.

I would not buy into another of these events unless I was assured of the technical presentation quality, though it was fun to watch with appreciating peers .
rgb1701 is offline   Reply With Quote