View Single Post
Old October 12 2007, 06:09 PM   #17
Spookman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Hallowe'en Reading 2007!

Brendan Moody said:
I'm also reading H.P. Lovecraft's Favorite Weird Tales; the title pretty much says it all. The most recent story I've read from it is Blackwood's "The Willows." It had a few effective moments but isn't a favorite of mine. On the other hand, Lovecraft thought it was probably the most effective weird tale he ever read, so I'm probably missing something.
That's a good-looking book. I've read The Willows, and I liked it, but I like Blackwood anyway. The funny thing about that story is the sense of weirdness and tension contained in it, despite the fact that nothing really happens. I wonder if that's what Lovecraft liked about it so much; cosmic horror packed into something as mundane as a camping trip.

Superman said:
Before I re-read Dracula, I'll be reading Raymond Florescu's fascinating In Search of Dracula, which I also highly recommend as good Halloween non-fiction.
It's a good book, though in some ways I kind of blame it for the recent trend of tying the character so closely to Vlad III the Impaler. While everyone knows at this point that Stoker took the name and backstory from Vlad, the character was never really intended to be Vlad.

I'm sure you know all that, being so into the character. It's just one of those things that I wish moviemakers and fiction writers would ease up on; the idea that Vlad Tepes died in 1476, only to rise and become the Dracula in the novel. But I know it's not going away anytime soon.

That said, I'm still looking forward to reading The Historian. In fact, my most recent copy of Dracula is the edition that's sort of a companion to Kostova's novel. I just liked the cover.

RJDiogenes said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
^ I swear, you need to read Dark Harvest. It's right up your alley.
My dark alley. Bwahaha. It is now on order, along with the Blackwood book and a Lord Dunsany collection.
I hope you like it. I'm kind of afraid of overhyping it, especially with all the award talk. But I know you like your pulp, so there's a good chance you'll enjoy it.

Greg Cox said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
Does that mean you read it in an editorial capacity, Greg?

(I dream of being an author, but I don't know very much about the industry.)

I didn't edit DARK HARVEST, but I wrote the back cover copy. (This has been a sideline of mine for years, ever since I started out writing the cover copy for men's adult westerns for $80 a pop.)
Thanks for explaining. I've always kind of wondered who wrote those sorts of things for publishers. Cool gig, if you can get it.

Now I'm reading Trick or Treat: A Collection of Halloween Novellas, published by--guess who?--Cemetery Dance Publications.

The Cemetery Dance books are a little pricey, with their being an independent publisher, but the quality of the books is top-notch. RJDiogenes and I both bought several books from one of their recent (and frequent) sales, and we commented to each other about just how new the books seemed when they arrived. The books look like they roll right off the press and into the box to be shipped to your house.