View Single Post
Old August 21 2014, 10:38 PM   #885
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a second (though I know we're trying to move on), I get where kirk55555 is coming from with regards to "modern English." Let's take one of the most famous, easy-to-understand lines from a Shakespeare play...

"Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?"

Modern (or perhaps we should say "contemporary") English? Absolutely not! This is not a question of accents or dialect. It is, quite frankly, that much of Shakespeare contains words and phrases that we just don't use anymore! Nobody in the modern world uses the phrase "wherefore art thou." We say "Where are you?" Similar, yes, but not the same.

Extend that to the rest of Shakespeare's works, and add in the fact that it's all written in rhyme and meter, and yes, reading Shakespeare can be incredibly difficult.

Now, with that said, I still maintain that watching Shakespeare is so much easier. When you have people speaking who know what they're saying and how they're supposed to be saying it, and you can hear it in the context of a story, it all makes sense. But trying to read it on your own without that context is not as easy as a lot of you are trying to make it out to be.