The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   International Save Data Campaign ( a web page) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=99853)

DivineSugar July 27 2009 03:19 AM

International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
I don't know if you guys have seen this page or not (hi by the way :D), but it was made sometime after the release of Star Trek: Nemesis. The owner is very passionate that killing off Data was the worst thing ever and launched a campaign to overturn the decision. Here is an excerpt:


January 6, 2003: It's official. Nemesis has tanked! A story on CNN.com today in the entertainment news section entitled 'Hollywood 2002: $equels, events, formula' listed it among the flops and said it could finish as the lowest-grossing of all the Star Trek movies! The sad irony is that immediately following the paragraph that contains this news is a paragraph that contains the very reason Nemesis is a disaster. The article talked about people flocking to movies in 2002 to forget their cares for awhile. All this movie did was give us something else to hurt about. Paramount has been told why this film is such a dismal failure and they've also been told what they need to do to fix it. But they don't just need to hear it from me. They need to hear it from everyone who's been hurt by this movie, whether you've seen it or not. And they also need to hear that you might think twice before paying for any future Paramount products. If some store owner murdered a member of my family, I wouldn't be too eager to give him my business. One consolation in all this is that if we have lost Data, at least the people responsible won't have profited from his death. But I'm not giving up on him yet. There are a lot of things happening behind the scenes that might turn this situation around. I'll be posting regular updates about the fight. But a minute here to keep this in perspective. We all need to remember we're talking about a fictional character and not a flesh and blood person. What is real is our love for him, whether he's real or not. And Paramount is finding out the hard way how much love there is for him. Maybe they'll think twice about putting out another movie with such a painful ending.

I already know my own opinion about that, but what's yours? Here's a link to the page: http://www.angelfire.com/tn/SaveData/index.html

I thought this would be kind of interesting to talk about. I know it's been talked about so many times before, but I just want to know what you guys think, your honest opinions.

P.S. My apologies if this isn't exactly in the right forum! It is about Data, so naturally I thought it goes here lol

Lt.Cmdr.LaForge July 29 2009 02:25 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
In my oppinion, it was fitting and heroic way for Data to die, proving beyond doubt that Data had become as close to being human as was possible. Despite this, id rather he hadn't died at all...

od0_ital July 29 2009 02:32 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
The dude should read the Star Trek (2009) prequel comic book.

cultcross July 29 2009 04:07 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
Quote:

Lt.Cmdr.LaForge wrote: (Post 3241835)
proving beyond doubt that Data had become as close to being human as was possible.

Indeed, he had lost all abilities of rational thought.

Pemmer Harge July 29 2009 04:16 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
It's all a bit academic now, isn't it?

McBastard44 July 29 2009 06:05 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
Prior to Nemesis I always hoped that Data would appear in a future series (if they ever made one) a couple of hundred years in the future. Still, if they could bring Ripley back after Alien 3 surely they could bring Data back somehow...

GhostFaceSaint July 29 2009 10:22 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
It was the actors choice that they end Data's life because he said that they had done everything they could with Data and their was no further growth therefore point to do any more stories with Data in them. By the way I think the whole thing with B4 was to show that Doctor Soong's work would not die with Data but live on.

Jbarney July 29 2009 10:53 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
Quote:

od0_ital wrote: (Post 3241862)
The dude should read the Star Trek (2009) prequel comic book.


Countdown....it stretches somethings but well worth reading.....

john titor July 29 2009 11:28 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
Quote:

GhostFaceSaint wrote: (Post 3243575)
It was the actors choice that they end Data's life because he said that they had done everything they could with Data and their was no further growth therefore point to do any more stories with Data in them. By the way I think the whole thing with B4 was to show that Doctor Soong's work would not die with Data but live on.

They didn't need to kill him. They just didn't need to use him anymore. I personally refuse to acknowledge Nemesis as canon. Its like the 1960s James Bond Casino Royale or Threshold. TNG ended with All Good Things.

RyuRoots July 30 2009 01:46 AM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
It amazes me that people still go on about this. Personally, I thought Data's death was one of the very few things Nemesis actually did right. I have to wonder if people would continue to piss and moan this much about Spock's death if he didn't come back in Star Trek III.

KobayashiMaru13 July 31 2009 03:53 AM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
if they hadnt brought spock back, ID still be pissin and moaning about it. TWOK was the 1st ST movie i saw, and was devestated that spock had died. i cried, even. then i watched nemesis, and data died. cried for a second time. the first 2 ST movies i watch, my fav characters in TOS and TNG died. wtf!?

Messianni July 31 2009 09:45 AM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
Quote:

john titor wrote: (Post 3243913)
Quote:

GhostFaceSaint wrote: (Post 3243575)
It was the actors choice that they end Data's life because he said that they had done everything they could with Data and their was no further growth therefore point to do any more stories with Data in them. By the way I think the whole thing with B4 was to show that Doctor Soong's work would not die with Data but live on.

They didn't need to kill him. They just didn't need to use him anymore. I personally refuse to acknowledge Nemesis as canon. Its like the 1960s James Bond Casino Royale or Threshold. TNG ended with All Good Things.

That's your problem. Considering Spiner himself wanted his character to die, I think they went about it just fine. He died saving his captain, his friends aboard the Enterprise and Earth. How is his death any less than Spock's? Frankly much more was on the line with the Scimitar versus Khan. He was going to die anyway. Had the Scimitar escaped it would have cruised right into Federation space and potentially killed many more people before it was stopped.

I actually like how it was done in the novelization and I wish they had done this in the film: if I remember correctly, right as Data points his phaser at the thalaron generator, he allows himself to scan through all of his good, happy memories as he fires. Basically, his life flashed before his eyes.

Such a statement as the OP posted is ridiculous. The actor himself didn't want to continue the role because there was nothing else he could do with Data and he was quite noticeably aging, which Spiner didn't feel did justice to the role. To blame it on Paramount is mundane at best and moronic at worst.

john titor July 31 2009 08:50 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
Quote:

Messianni wrote: (Post 3249308)
Quote:

john titor wrote: (Post 3243913)
Quote:

GhostFaceSaint wrote: (Post 3243575)
It was the actors choice that they end Data's life because he said that they had done everything they could with Data and their was no further growth therefore point to do any more stories with Data in them. By the way I think the whole thing with B4 was to show that Doctor Soong's work would not die with Data but live on.

They didn't need to kill him. They just didn't need to use him anymore. I personally refuse to acknowledge Nemesis as canon. Its like the 1960s James Bond Casino Royale or Threshold. TNG ended with All Good Things.

That's your problem. Considering Spiner himself wanted his character to die, I think they went about it just fine. He died saving his captain, his friends aboard the Enterprise and Earth. How is his death any less than Spock's? Frankly much more was on the line with the Scimitar versus Khan. He was going to die anyway. Had the Scimitar escaped it would have cruised right into Federation space and potentially killed many more people before it was stopped.

I actually like how it was done in the novelization and I wish they had done this in the film: if I remember correctly, right as Data points his phaser at the thalaron generator, he allows himself to scan through all of his good, happy memories as he fires. Basically, his life flashed before his eyes.

Such a statement as the OP posted is ridiculous. The actor himself didn't want to continue the role because there was nothing else he could do with Data and he was quite noticeably aging, which Spiner didn't feel did justice to the role. To blame it on Paramount is mundane at best and moronic at worst.

No, Spiner doesn't exclusively own datas character, he plays the role of data. They could have left data as he was, let someone else play him in the future. Spock came back from the dead so that was ok.

USS Excelsior July 31 2009 09:19 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
When will they release a bring back Data Trailer.

Admiral Buzzkill July 31 2009 09:24 PM

Re: International Save Data Campaign ( a web page)
 
They killed Data?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.