The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Baltar's Death. [Spoilers] (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=98292)

Rob Grant July 8 2009 02:12 AM

Baltar's Death. [Spoilers]

Alright.. certain things got me thinking.. what will the reaction be in his community when he dies..

Lets assume.. him and Caprica.. make their little farm and stuff.. and its quite near to a large amount of people settled there also..
like a town or village.. (lets call it New Aerilon, as its a farming community)

and he is quite a well known both because of his past exploits, Scientist/President/Crimes Against Humanity.. but also quite a public figure currently, around the town..

I assume he would be quite a useful member to his little society with his past knowledge and experience..

I can imagine alot of people hating him and calling him a murderer.. and such.. tho alot of people saying he was let off and such.. esp his little cult members

So what would happen when he dies.. lets assume.. he was 32-37ish during the 1st and 2nd Exodus..

and he dies quite young.. say like 56.. of a fairly normal ailment.. perhaps cos of the different conditions of the planet they settled on.. and less access to Colonial civilization..

Can you see the town being generally sad.. and the local media and later wider media.(cos i like to think there is some comms between settlements) say 'a great man is lost'.. despite the nah-sayers who would say his a murderer and such..

Would they focus on all his great achievements..

-the times he saved the fleet..
-how he worked round the clock to make a Cylon Detector.. :D
-how he fought bravely on Kobol.
-how he strived to make the COA give better conditions to the citizens of New Caprica..

Basically.. would the fact he is now dead..change peoples opinions of him?

Temis the Vorta July 8 2009 03:07 AM

Re: Baltar's Death. [Spoilers]

By then they'll be hard up for food. They'll probably just eat him. :D

Candlefright July 8 2009 04:44 AM

Judging how us humans remember people that have passed, it's normally galvanised by one or two key events.

Will Michael Jackson be remembered for the King of Pop or a kiddie-fiddler?

History will tell.

Rob Grant July 8 2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Candlelight wrote: (Post 3165679)
Judging how us humans remember people that have passed, it's normally galvanised by one or two key events.

Will Michael Jackson be remembered for the King of Pop or a kiddie-fiddler?

History will tell.

yeh yeh.. that was the aforementioned 'certain things' that got me thinking..

But you've still not answered the question.. how can you imagine Baltar being remembered?

Candlefright July 8 2009 10:08 PM

A failed president of New Caprica and aquitted of the crimes brought against him by the people.

He won't be remembered fondly. Then again, I'm talking about that generation. Future generations rely on word of mouth passed down. It really depends on what family/township you're born into.

P0sitr0nic July 9 2009 12:42 PM

If youre born in Gaiuston, youll be taught hes a hero. Not so much in Roslinville.

Rob Grant July 9 2009 04:34 PM

come on imagine more...

Bones July 18 2009 07:50 PM

Answer #1: I think he'd be an easy target for a mob uprising. As soon as the first wave of famine, disease, etc. struck, it would be very ease to blame Baltar and tar-and-feather (or worse) the guy.

Answer #2: How will Osama Bin Laden be rememered 100-200 years from now? As a terrorist or as a hero who restored Islam to its glory? Probably depends on who gets to write the history books or where in the world you are reading them. Same with Baltar. Cylon dominated settlements might rememeber him as a hero. Human dominated settlements might remember him as a terrorist.

Answer #3: fast forward 150,000 years in the future, and nobody remembers him at all.

Dac July 20 2009 12:08 AM

But Baltar DID initiate peace (regardless of length) between Man and Cylon at the crucial moment when both where on the verge of wiping each other out. Regardless of other events, he did save humanity when it boils down to it.

Of course, he DID do other things, many of which are regarded as less than tasteful, but in the end, he got the girl of his dreams (literally) and the weight of the world removed from his shoulders. I think everyone was too happy to be rid of their metal prisons to care about what that guy did, as long as he stays out of the way (which we can assume he did) he doesn't matter to anyone else.