The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Favorite alien race (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=97641)

JD June 30 2009 03:34 PM

Favorite alien race

All of the discussion about Cardassians in the philosophy got me wondering what everyone's favorite races are, and if you have a favorite book(s) focusing on them.
For me it's, in no particular order:
Klingons (A Time for War, a Time For Peace, Left Hand of Dstiny, Art of the Impossible)
Cardassians (A Stitch in Time, Terok Nor, DS9 Relaunch)
Andorians (Paradigm)
Romulans (Serpent Among the Ruins, ENT: Relaunch)

Captain Randy Hall June 30 2009 03:43 PM

Re: Favorite alien race

Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 3138153)
All of the discussion about Cardassians in the philosophy got me wondering what everyone's favorite races are, and if you have a favorite book(s) focusing on them.
For me it's, in no particular order:
Klingons (A Time for War, a Time For Peace, Left Hand of Dstiny, Art of the Impossible)
Cardassians (A Stitch in Time, Terok Nor, DS9 Relaunch)
Andorians (Paradigm)
Romulans (Serpent Among the Ruins, ENT: Relaunch)

The Andorians are my second favorite Trek aliens (right behind the Vulcans).:vulcan:

They have the fierceness of the Klingons but because they're not as strong as the "Kingons" they have to use stealth and strategy to accomplish their goals. If you're going to have fullback aliens, you need to have a race thst's not quite as strong as Klingons. That is the role the Andorians play.:bolian:

Emh June 30 2009 04:05 PM

The Cardassians and the Romulans are the most interesting to me. The rest are meh, except maybe the Andorians.

TerriO June 30 2009 04:56 PM

Dremans and Bajorans.

One culture that I got the opportunity to explore, and another that I wanted to see explored more.

The others? Overexposed.

Marie1 June 30 2009 05:20 PM

The Jem'Hadar.
Did anyone pass out from surprise?

Great books with them-
S.D. Perry's Avatar I & II, Sect. 31 Abyss, KRAD's Gateways Demons of Air and Darkness, DRGIII's Twilight, and Mack's Warpath. I really need to stop plugging the latter... or just have it branded to my forehead and get it over with... LOL!

Nerys Ghemor June 30 2009 05:37 PM

Cardassians! :D

And Bajorans, believe it or not.

Also--the Romulans as portrayed in the Rihannsu stories.

The Klingons as portrayed in The Final Reflection, too--I like them WAY better than modern Klingons.

Thor Damar June 30 2009 05:40 PM

^ Yeah, I too am going to be wildly predicable and go with the Cardassians swiftly followed by the Romulans and to my own surprise the Klingons (or to be more specific KRADs version, mostly due to Klag and Leskit)

And even the Ferengi in The 34th Rule

Dimesdan June 30 2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

TerriO wrote: (Post 3138409)
Dremans and Bajorans.

One culture that I got the opportunity to explore, and another that I wanted to see explored more.

The others? Overexposed.

And you don't think the Bajorans haven't been over exposed?

As for a favourite alien species, I don't really have one, but I always thought both the Ferengi and Andorians were good, but that's because of Deep Space Nine and Enterprise respectively.

Deranged Nasat June 30 2009 07:43 PM

Cardassians- as discussed at length in my Cardassian philosophy thread.

Romulans- the modern novel's Romulans, which are a mix of TV Romulans and Rihannsu, come across very complex as as result of these different influences. Sherman-Shwartz and Mangels-Martin are top of the field here.

Andorians- The post-finale DS9 series made them quite fascinating, and now they've been reconciled with Enterprise Andorians, they've achieved similar status to the Romulans (above). Heather Jarman is top of the list here.

Bajorans- "Day of the Vipers" was the best portrayal of the Bajorans I've yet seen. James Swallow captured them perfectly.

Klingons, when written by KRAD, who knows how to make them complex, fascinating and three dimensional.

As for beta-status aliens, I have great fondness and interest in Efrosians, Pahkwa-thanh, Nasats, Tellarites, and pretty much any aliens created by or explored by Christopher Bennett.

captcalhoun June 30 2009 09:14 PM

Andorians and Klingons. plus Xenexians.

Deranged Nasat June 30 2009 10:28 PM

As a sequel to my earlier post, I will add a few I forgot last time:

The Tholians, as featured in "The Sundered" and "Vanguard" have been very interesting

I'm quite partial to the Betazoids, but we haven't yet had the Betazoid book ("The Battle of Betazed" and "Imzadi" (one of the relatively few pre-21st century Trek books I've read) were both good, but didn't really elevate Betazoids to the height I'd like to see.

The Trill were made very interesting once writers began focusing on their secret-keeping/conspiracy traits, particularly playing it against their promotion of memory and knowledge.

TerriO July 1 2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Dimesdan wrote: (Post 3138533)
Quote:

TerriO wrote: (Post 3138409)
Dremans and Bajorans.

The others? Overexposed.

And you don't think the Bajorans haven't been over exposed?

Honestly? Not in my experience. I do admit I'm behind in my reading, though.

xman July 1 2009 05:06 AM

I was captivated by Vulcans for a very long time, but since they've been done to death (get it?) that has waned some. I am also still intrigued by Andorians. I mean, c'mon, they're blue and have antenae! For the same reason I also dig Edosians and it was cool to see one in the new film.

In recent years I've added Trills to my favourites box too.

For villains, Romulans still hold the greatest appeal, but with the reboot and a chance to explore a new relationship in the Klingon Empire, they may interest me a little more, but I doubt it.

T'Bonz July 1 2009 05:15 AM

Romulans!

No, Vulcans.

Romulans! Rihannsu ones especially, not the TNG garbage.

But what about those Vulcans?

Romulans, I say!

Vulcans. The TOS variety (amazing how TNG and beyond did such a $*#@ job with both Vulcans and Romulans.)

Oh, what can I say. The pointy-ears, smarts and passion of both races get me every time.

Romulans-Vulcans :vulcan:

(But definitely not those bikers of the galaxy, the over-used and overrated Klingons.)

Nerys Ghemor July 1 2009 06:10 AM

T'Bonz--curious: what did you think of the old TOS-era Klingons? Especially the way they are in The Final Reflection. Do you (as I do) like them better than the TNG Klingons?