The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=97051)

Broccoli June 23 2009 06:05 AM

Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
About a year ago, I read the Infinite Crisis trade. I really liked it. Possibly more so than Crisis on the Infinite Earths. However, when reading, there were a few things that I was lost on. I was able to pick up on what I missed, but I do want to get the full picture.

I was reading about all the lead-ins for IC. There are a lot. I was wondering for those who read them, which ones are dead-set important for IC?

Omac Project seems necessary, as does Villains United. Also, from what I understand, Identity Crisis is the more-or-less beginning point for IC. What about Day of Vengeance or Rann-Thanagar War? Without going into spoilers, Day of Vengeance goes into Specter's deal, but I'm not sure about Rann-Thanager War. I gather it is a Green Lantern focused story; not being that into GL, I don't know if I'd totally care for the story.

I am sure all are important in the grand scheme of things (and you may tell me that), but what is absolutely necessary to get the set-up at the beginning of Infinite Crisis?

Hermiod June 23 2009 07:10 AM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
^Honestly, I wish I could help you because I asked that question myself. Unfortunately, I found that even if you had read every single book DC had ever published, Infinite Crisis still wouldn't make sense.

Mr Light June 23 2009 02:52 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
There were four lead-in mini-series and then a million tie-ins in the regular series. The four minis were OMAC Project (very important pretty good), Day of Judgement (somewhat important entertaining), Rann-Thanagar War (completely unimportant but alright) and Villains United (the actual story has little to do with IC but it's damn entertaining). The most important tie-in trade to get would be Superman Sacrifice but those events are covered in OMAC indirectly. The IC Companion trade collects the "specials" that wrap up the 4 mini-series but they're not really necessary. The Superboy/Luthor story happened in Teen Titans / Outsiders: The Insiders but reading that isn't terribly important to IC. Identity Crisis was the initiation of the larger storyline but it's only indirectly tied to the actual plot.

Broccoli June 23 2009 04:31 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 3113773)
^Honestly, I wish I could help you because I asked that question myself. Unfortunately, I found that even if you had read every single book DC had ever published, Infinite Crisis still wouldn't make sense.

I think you are confusing Infinite Crisis with Final Crisis. Soon to be followed by The Really Final Crisis of Infinite Proportions. :p

Quote:

Mr Light wrote: (Post 3114359)
There were four lead-in mini-series and then a million tie-ins in the regular series. The four minis were OMAC Project (very important pretty good), Day of Judgement (somewhat important entertaining), Rann-Thanagar War (completely unimportant but alright) and Villains United (the actual story has little to do with IC but it's damn entertaining). The most important tie-in trade to get would be Superman Sacrifice but those events are covered in OMAC indirectly. The IC Companion trade collects the "specials" that wrap up the 4 mini-series but they're not really necessary. The Superboy/Luthor story happened in Teen Titans / Outsiders: The Insiders but reading that isn't terribly important to IC. Identity Crisis was the initiation of the larger storyline but it's only indirectly tied to the actual plot.

I was wondering about Rann-Thanagar War. I basically want stuff that sets up the playing field we have in IC (ie. the four lead-ins). Thanks for the info!

Smiley June 23 2009 05:45 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
Alternatively, you could read the novelization. It's cheaper than getting two or more comic trades, and you get the relevant backstory as you go along.

Hermiod June 23 2009 05:49 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
Quote:

Broccoli wrote: (Post 3114619)
Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 3113773)
^Honestly, I wish I could help you because I asked that question myself. Unfortunately, I found that even if you had read every single book DC had ever published, Infinite Crisis still wouldn't make sense.

I think you are confusing Infinite Crisis with Final Crisis. Soon to be followed by The Really Final Crisis of Infinite Proportions. :p

Sadly, I wish I was because I read through Infinite Crisis and a bunch of the tie-ins expecting it to make sense at some point and it never did.

That and unbridled misandry of Amazons Attack have put me off DC forever.

Myasishchev June 23 2009 06:02 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
Rann-Thanagar War is absolutely horrible, I'd actually recommend not reading it. OMAC is okay, but features an inexplicable character assassination of the highest order. Day of Judgment is a lot of fun, and Villains United is fantastic.

Hermiod June 23 2009 06:03 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
Quote:

Myasishchev wrote: (Post 3114907)
Rann-Thanagar War is absolutely horrible, I'd actually recommend not reading it. OMAC is okay, but features an inexplicable character assassination of the highest order. Day of Judgment is a lot of fun, and Villains United is fantastic.

Yeah, I will say that - I did enjoy Villains United.

coolghoul June 23 2009 06:07 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
Frankly I don't like this idea of Superboy prime as the villain - maybe I'm being a unidimensional fanboy here but I absolutely hated the fact that Superboy is now a villain. Of all the pantheons of Big Bads that are available in the universe why did they have to go with taking a "good guy" and turning him bad?

I understand how this is not the Superboy that I remember reading all those Smallville stories about and that Crisis on Infinite Earths changed it and all that. But still... Superboy is evil?!!

Having gotten that rant out of the way - I also have read only a few tie-ins to Infinite Crisis - I would really recommend Identity Crisis since I really liked that book. It was a tightly plotted and human story. I have read Omac Project and I know it was important to know who's behind it all and Brother Eye and all that jazz. But it just didn't work for me (imo). Partially because I didn't know half the people in it. I have read the IC Companion and I liked it.

Greg Cox June 23 2009 06:27 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
Quote:

Smiley wrote: (Post 3114844)
Alternatively, you could read the novelization. It's cheaper than getting two or more comic trades, and you get the relevant backstory as you go along.


God bless you. :)


Seriously, the prequel tie-ins are all enjoyable, but I would say that THE OMAC PROJECT and SACRIFICE are the most relevant to the plot of IC.

Regarding DAY OF JUDGMENT, all you really need to know is that the Spectre has gone berserk and the Shadowpact has formed to stop him. VILLAINS UNITED is great fun, and maybe my favorite of the bunch, but it's kind of a sideshow. For RANN-THANAGER, all that matters is that a bunch of heroes are stuck in the middle of a space war on the other side of the galaxy when all hell breaks loose . . . .

And, oh yeah, Donna Troy is alive again.

Mr Light June 23 2009 11:26 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
I recently read The Death and Return of Donna Troy trade and it had nearly nothing to do with the Crisis. Basically the Greek Gods knew there was a crisis coming and that was about it. And Donna Troy didn't do anything particularly important in the Crisis either, she basically just rounded up some buddies and went off into space where they got a lucky shot in. ... I enjoyed Rann-Thanagar War even though it starred a bunch of C-Lister characters. I guess it is the worst of the four but I enjoyed all four to some degree.

Myasishchev June 24 2009 01:07 AM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
Quote:

coolghoul wrote: (Post 3114921)
Frankly I don't like this idea of Superboy prime as the villain - maybe I'm being a unidimensional fanboy here but I absolutely hated the fact that Superboy is now a villain. Of all the pantheons of Big Bads that are available in the universe why did they have to go with taking a "good guy" and turning him bad?

I understand how this is not the Superboy that I remember reading all those Smallville stories about and that Crisis on Infinite Earths changed it and all that. But still... Superboy is evil?!!


Because he was the only one locked up with Alex Luthor. Except Kal-L, whom they wanted to keep a good guy. I guess Superboy Prime didn't have to go as off the deep end as he did, but I liked it alright. I mean, for ten years, he was locked in a room with a guy just like him except better in every way--and who actually got to bring a woman with him, to boot! Going crazy's believable.

I haven't really followed what they've done with Superboy Prime since, but I understand it's been rather bad. "I'm going to kill you to death" and so on, which is either the worst line in comics history, or, possibly, the best.

shivkala June 24 2009 02:26 AM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
I guess it's what you were concerned about that would help figuring out what you need to get.

If I remember, the Infinite Crisis Secret Files & Origins main story connected the dots in such a way that you wouldn't need to buy the separate mini-series (or, I guess their TPBs). It explains how Alex and Superboy-Prime set up everything to lead into Infinite Crisis.

As others said, I would recommend The OMAC Project and Villains United and their strengths as stories in and of themselves. Furthermore, I'd recommend Checkmate #'s 1-25 (the follow-up series to The OMAC Project), as well as the current Secret Six series (and I guess the mini-series that came out shortly after Infinite Crisis, though I didn't that that mini was as strong as the currrent series).

Mr Light June 24 2009 03:42 AM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
While I love Secret Six (still need to get the new mini trades though) I really didn't care for Checkmate. I read the first twelve or so issues and it just didn't grab me.

shivkala June 24 2009 12:49 PM

Re: Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins
 
Well, it's not for everybody, but I thought it was an interesting look at the DCU from a different angle. The political stuff was interesting and it was fun seeing some familiar faces (most notably Alan Scott and Michael Holt) in a different light.

Plus, it gave us back the original Suicide Squad with Waller and lead to a pretty decent mini-series.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.