The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Borg Theories (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=96740)

Itisnotlogical June 19 2009 01:49 PM

Borg Theories
 
There can be several ways that the Borg were created. My theory is that Starfleet, in the TOS period, began dabbling in nanomachines. A flaw in the nanomachine's programming turned the test subjects into unstoppable cyborgs intent on spreading their infection to others. The Borg, having not discovered how to adapt to phaser weapons, retreated into the Delta Quadrant using a detached saucer section from an Excelsior-class prototype equipped with transwarp drive (in the early models of the Excelsior, the warp drive system was built into the saucer section) when the remaining crew were able to effect a succesful resistance. Starfleet, unable to piece together what had gone wrong, forbade the further production of any nanomachine technologies.

What are your theories?

SilentP June 19 2009 02:34 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
There's a few flaws in that theory, one being that the Federation were still using nanites in the 24th Century (can't remember the TNG episode's name, but it's the one where Wesley was experimenting with nanites, and they ended up trying to eat the computer core).

Another is that Starfleet's transwarp project failed, though one could say historical revisionism on Starfleet's part could have something to do with it.

Myasishchev June 19 2009 02:46 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
The one in Destiny is as good as any that for no particularly good reason requires the Borg
. That said, it's pretty well done.

Sci June 19 2009 03:27 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
Quote:

Myasishchev wrote: (Post 3101524)
The one in Destiny is as good as any that for no particularly good reason requires the Borg
. That said, it's pretty well done.



Quote:

SilentP wrote: (Post 3101481)
There's a few flaws in that theory, one being that the Federation were still using nanites in the 24th Century (can't remember the TNG episode's name, but it's the one where Wesley was experimenting with nanites, and they ended up trying to eat the computer core).

Another is that Starfleet's transwarp project failed, though one could say historical revisionism on Starfleet's part could have something to do with it.

The biggest problem with the OP's theory is that the Borg existed at least as far back as 900 years ("Dragon's Tooth" [VOY]), so they can't have originated from the 23rd Century.

Myasishchev June 19 2009 03:50 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
^Sci,


Gorn Captain June 20 2009 06:32 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
Perhaps one of those Billy Mays telemarketing products gone horribly wrong.

USS Excelsior June 20 2009 06:49 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
And Guinan's comments about the Borg being around for 1000s of Centuries.

Finngle Bells June 20 2009 08:15 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
Quote:

itisnotlogical wrote: (Post 3101367)
There can be several ways that the Borg were created. My theory is that Starfleet, in the TOS period, began dabbling in nanomachines. A flaw in the nanomachine's programming turned the test subjects into unstoppable cyborgs intent on spreading their infection to others. The Borg, having not discovered how to adapt to phaser weapons, retreated into the Delta Quadrant using a detached saucer section from an Excelsior-class prototype equipped with transwarp drive (in the early models of the Excelsior, the warp drive system was built into the saucer section) when the remaining crew were able to effect a succesful resistance. Starfleet, unable to piece together what had gone wrong, forbade the further production of any nanomachine technologies.

What are your theories?

F*** NO!!!! Too human-centric and we have seen far too many alpha/beta quadrant connections in the Delta aquadrant

NIUPonyBoy June 20 2009 08:20 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
Personally I don't see where the OP's theory even comes from. There is plenty of space out there for the Borg to develop on their own. No need to blame human's for them, especially some elaborate 'weakly' faceted conspiracy theory.

hyzmarca June 20 2009 09:16 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
How about this. Somewhere in the Delta Quadrant a minor not-yet-warp-capable world contains a humanoid species that has been utilizing cybernetics for medical purposes for quite some time, and which has decided to achieve perfect democracy by linking the minds of all individuals together. It actually works, and they produce a sort of utopia. But, as time goes on, children get their implants earlier and earlier, and the collective becomes more monolithic, eventually being dominated by a majority that has never known individuality.

Things become more complicated with the advent of warp drive and the discovery of other species. Peaceful curiosity degenerates into conflict, and this species decides as a group that forcible assimilation of their enemies would be the best way to ensure peace, to make them see the light. It doesn't work out very well. Being connective to the collective against their will only makes the enemy species even more angry, even more violent. The many who voluntarily joined the collective can suppress the few who were forcibly assimilated, but this isn't the slightest bit healthy, and with each forcible assimilation, the collective looses a little bit of its sanity.

This slows their expansion, as the number of minds that are willingly part of the collective must exceed the number forcibly assimilated by several orders of magnitude, or else they risk the collective falling apart. They build their population this way for so long that no Borg alive can remember or even comprehend the concept of individuality, and then they go out to bring peace to the peace of the collective to the galaxy, completely oblivious to what they're taking away from their victims.

Their expansion slows whenever the raging forcibly assimilated minds threaten to overwhelm the always-Borg majority, an occurrence which becomes rarer as their population expands, which would explain why they hadn't conquered the entire Delta Quadrant by now.

Vanyel June 20 2009 10:40 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
I seem to remember reading an unmade script from Voyager that dealt with the origin of the Borg. They find a space craft and 7 of 9 recognizes the pilot as a member of species 1. He explains the origin of the Borg. His species was developing a planetary defense. He and another man were aboard an orbiting space craft, getting ready to activate the system. When it is activated, the defense system targets its creators and the pilots watch helpless as the Borg assimilate the planet. Trying to find where I read that.

Itisnotlogical June 21 2009 07:07 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
Quote:

SilentP wrote: (Post 3101481)
There's a few flaws in that theory, one being that the Federation were still using nanites in the 24th Century (can't remember the TNG episode's name, but it's the one where Wesley was experimenting with nanites, and they ended up trying to eat the computer core).

Another is that Starfleet's transwarp project failed, though one could say historical revisionism on Starfleet's part could have something to do with it.

Transwarp worked just fine, it failed in Search for Spock because Scotty sabotaged it so they couldn't chase the Enterprise.

All Seeing Eye June 21 2009 11:13 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
I'm sorry but I don't want ANY link between Humans and the Borg when it comes to their origin. I just want the Borg to be completely separate.
The Borg were around 900 years before Voyager and by that time controlled only a handful of sectors. So we know they basically started to "spread out" 900 years before Voyager and were already in their cybernetic form by that time. The Borg Queen also mentions that Humans are not that different from the Borg before they became what they are.

This all leads me to believe that perhaps the Borg pre-cybernetic were like Humans, they warred with each other and perhaps began developing weapons to try and win the other which lead to the development of the nano-probes and cybernetic enhancements for their soldiers.
Clearly something went wrong, perhaps the scientists on the otherside of the war reprogrammed them into a viral weapon and thought they would wipe out their enemy which backfired and ended up spreading throughout the entire populace. In all the chaos this new Borg species generated a Queen to bring order and the Borg began from there.

Mr.Borg June 21 2009 11:20 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
You know..there is a you tube video on how the Borg were created. I think it was like the Son'a. First they were a species (I think the queen's species) and then there was a war. And then the species split into two parts. The Borg Part made themselves into cyborgs and starting killing and assimilating everything.:borg:

All Seeing Eye June 21 2009 11:42 PM

Re: Borg Theories
 
Quote:

Mr.Borg wrote: (Post 3109140)
The Borg Part made themselves into cyborgs and starting killing and assimilating everything.:borg:

I find it difficult to believe a species would intentionally and willingly make themselves the way the Borg are.
It makes much more sense that they were developing nano-probes and cybernetics as a weapon in a war and that it all backfired on them.

Would you freely have limbs chopped off for implants and give your freedom up to a collective consciousness? I certainly wouldn't, no intelligent species in the Trekverse would neither IMO.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.