The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Future of Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A Star trek CGI series (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=95208)

Admiral Pike June 4 2009 01:07 PM

A Star trek CGI series
 
It's true, we fans have sometimes expressed scepticism over the idea a Star Trek CGI series, and for a number of valid reasons; Like the difficulty to relate to CGI characters. Or the fact that it wouldn't be a high-profile live action show. Or that CGI used to be fairly limited technically (with emphasis on "used to").

However, after seeing Star Trek: Aurora ( www.auroratrek.com ), as well as some other non-Star Trek related CGI productions, I've completely changed my mind on the matter. Yes, I'd say that a CGI series is very much feasible. Now that I've seen a number of newer CGI productions, I've come to realize that CGI has really come a long way, and that it is indeed possible to relate to CGI characters. A CGI show also has the advantage that it's fairly easy to display really exotic and non-humanoid aliens of many different shapes and sizes.

Now, as far as I understand, Aurora is basically the work of a single person, doing it for free on his spare time. (And the first episode is also already several years old.) So just imagine what would be the end result if a CGI series got the budget of a TV programme, with a number of professionals working on it with state-of-the-art computer technology at their hands.
I think the outcome would indeed be excellent.

Let us ponder for a minute the advantages of a CGI show:
*The relative ease to show really exotic and non-humanoid aliens (four-legged creatures, sulfur-based lifeforms, worm-like organisms, tentacled creatures, etc).
*A CGI series won't appear as "cartoonish" or "kiddy" as a Star Trek cartoon would.
*A much lower cost than a live action show. No actors demanding a higher salary each season. No expensive sets or props, no need for costly alien prostetics or puppetry.
*It's easier to relate to semi-realistic CGI characters than it is with unreal and often odd-looking cartoony characters.
*You can for a fairly low cost bring in cameos from the other Star Trek productions: Picard, Data, Worf, Riker, Q, Kira, Dukat, Dax, Seven of Nine, Ambassador Spock, or any and all of the Star Trek XI actors.

As far as I can see, a CGI show would definitely be a compelling continuation of the Star Trek saga.

So... what are your current thoughts regarding a CGI Star Trek series?

RobertScorpio June 4 2009 02:37 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
Quote:

Admiral Pike wrote: (Post 3043728)
It's true, we fans have sometimes expressed scepticism over the idea a Star Trek CGI series, and for a number of valid reasons; Like the difficulty to relate to CGI characters. Or the fact that it wouldn't be a high-profile live action show. Or that CGI used to be fairly limited technically (with emphasis on "used to").

However, after seeing Star Trek: Aurora ( www.auroratrek.com ), as well as some other non-Star Trek related CGI productions, I've completely changed my mind on the matter. Yes, I'd say that a CGI series is very much feasible. Now that I've seen a number of newer CGI productions, I've come to realize that CGI has really come a long way, and that it is indeed possible to relate to CGI characters. A CGI show also has the advantage that it's fairly easy to display really exotic and non-humanoid aliens of many different shapes and sizes.

Now, as far as I understand, Aurora is basically the work of a single person, doing it for free on his spare time. (And the first episode is also already several years old.) So just imagine what would be the end result if a CGI series got the budget of a TV programme, with a number of professionals working on it with state-of-the-art computer technology at their hands.
I think the outcome would indeed be excellent.

Let us ponder for a minute the advantages of a CGI show:
*The relative ease to show really exotic and non-humanoid aliens (four-legged creatures, sulfur-based lifeforms, worm-like organisms, tentacled creatures, etc).
*A CGI series won't appear as "cartoonish" or "kiddy" as a Star Trek cartoon would.
*A much lower cost than a live action show. No actors demanding a higher salary each season. No expensive sets or props, no need for costly alien prostetics or puppetry.
*It's easier to relate to semi-realistic CGI characters than it is with unreal and often odd-looking cartoony characters.
*You can for a fairly low cost bring in cameos from the other Star Trek productions: Picard, Data, Worf, Q, Kira, Dukat, Dax, Seven of Nine, Ambassador Spock, or any and all of the Star Trek XI actors.

As far as I can see, a CGI show would definitely be a compelling continuation of the Star Trek saga.

So... what are your current thoughts regarding a CGI Star Trek series?

There is a production called AURORA over in the fan production area that is indeed a CGI series. It centers on two characters and the writing is pretty witty and the story is pretty cool. Check it out. I have nothing to do with that production, but I am a fan of it. So please, MODs, don't accuse me of promoting something of my own; I'm not.

Rob

jefferiestubes8 June 4 2009 04:48 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
Any regular reader of Future of Trek forum will know I've been a big supporter of CGI animation.

Admiral Pike wrote:
Quote:

A CGI show also has the advantage that it's fairly easy to display really exotic and non-humanoid aliens of many different shapes and sizes.
this is key to a live-action series budget as the makeup/costumes are costly and time consuming.
Although the art department on a Trek movie has the largest number of people building those sets. In CG one person can build a CG model of a location, another person does the lighting, another person the atmospheric effects. Even if you triple this it is minimal compared to live-action. for making a set/location see The Making of Tython in Knights of the Old Republic [5 minute video] [see at 3:38 specifically]
I've posted these 4 videos before but here they all are in one place.

3 videos show what is possible with a CG animated series with characters, story, camera moves, slow-motion, costumes, alien characters's head design, lighting, action, effects.

Star Wars: The Old Republic cinematic trailer

Resident Evil: Degeneration Red Band (Movie Trailer)

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2:12 trailer)
(after 30 second ad WMV or QT)

A Trek CGI series has this potential too. And it could go as dark in tone as you want especially for an extended edition director's cut on Blu-ray/DVD that wouldn't be suitable for broadcast TV's TV Parental Guidelines system's TV-PG and TV-14 ratings. Not just in violence but in content like the BBC not showing episodes of TNG.

RobertScorpio June 4 2009 04:51 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
i couldn't agree more and I am surprised it hasn't happened yet. The key, I think, is getting hip writing. All the CGI in the world isn't going to help if there is no life to what is being shown.

Rob

regemet June 4 2009 06:27 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
Well I became pro C G I after watching Gerry Andersons New Captain Scarlet

RobertScorpio June 4 2009 06:34 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
Quote:

regemet wrote: (Post 3044766)
Well I became pro C G I after watching Gerry Andersons New Captain Scarlet

Oh, I am totally with you. I have no idea how they do it, these folks who use CGI, so I am really impressed with it. I recently was contacted by someone on the BBS to maybe co-write a CGI story with him. I have no idea what that means, or how he puts words to CGI art work, but it will be fun to do if it all works out....

My grandfather, he is 96 years old, had many cartoon gags, you know, little one frame cartoon jokes, published in many magazines...Readers Digest, Playboy (go grandpa) and Star and Globe and National Enquirer. Its amazing how far "art" technology has come...

Rob

jefferiestubes8 June 4 2009 07:13 PM

New Captain Scarlet CGI series 2004-2006 info
 
Quote:

regemet wrote: (Post 3044766)
Well I became pro C G I after watching Gerry Andersons New Captain Scarlet

New Captain Scarlet or NCS) is a United Kingdom-produced computer-generated imagery action-adventure TV series which debuted in February 2005 as part of the Ministry of Mayhem on ITV.
Gerry Andersons New Captain Scarlet Ending [8min video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YER4dPam1mY

Well, it is better than The Clone Wars TV series style of animation IMHO...

info:
Captain Scarlet Blasts Off In New CG Series
Gerry Anderson and Sony Partner On 26 Episodes
October 21st 2004
http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/...hp?Article=611

DVD review:
Quote:

The first thing that one will notice about this remake of Captain Scarlet is how short a time passes before one forgets about the CG animation. Whilst it helps that it is of such a high quality,
he CG animation - Anderson's team get it so right so often ...that it's more than possible to overlook those few moments when they don't
Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet Series 1 DVD Review
18-10-2005
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=58902

Myasishchev June 5 2009 06:26 AM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
I still prefer the style of traditional animation over CGI. CGI is great for locations and objects, but tends to have an uncanny valley effect on people, even aliens. If someone did it I'd be open-minded about it, though.

EmmanuelZorg June 5 2009 09:57 AM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
I agree, i wouldn't mind seeing a anime style ST series done by Peter Chung of "Aeon Flux" fame.

Hober Mallow June 5 2009 11:20 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
I think it will happen someday. My dream series would be CGI Kirk and Spock episodic series written by actual SF writers.

Dusty Ayres June 6 2009 06:28 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
Quote:

Admiral Pike wrote: (Post 3043728)
It's true, we fans have sometimes expressed scepticism over the idea a Star Trek CGI series, and for a number of valid reasons; Like the difficulty to relate to CGI characters. Or the fact that it wouldn't be a high-profile live action show. Or that CGI used to be fairly limited technically (with emphasis on "used to").

However, after seeing Star Trek: Aurora ( www.auroratrek.com ), as well as some other non-Star Trek related CGI productions, I've completely changed my mind on the matter. Yes, I'd say that a CGI series is very much feasible. Now that I've seen a number of newer CGI productions, I've come to realize that CGI has really come a long way, and that it is indeed possible to relate to CGI characters. A CGI show also has the advantage that it's fairly easy to display really exotic and non-humanoid aliens of many different shapes and sizes.

Now, as far as I understand, Aurora is basically the work of a single person, doing it for free on his spare time. (And the first episode is also already several years old.) So just imagine what would be the end result if a CGI series got the budget of a TV programme, with a number of professionals working on it with state-of-the-art computer technology at their hands.
I think the outcome would indeed be excellent.

Let us ponder for a minute the advantages of a CGI show:
*The relative ease to show really exotic and non-humanoid aliens (four-legged creatures, sulfur-based lifeforms, worm-like organisms, tentacled creatures, etc).
*A CGI series won't appear as "cartoonish" or "kiddy" as a Star Trek cartoon would.
*A much lower cost than a live action show. No actors demanding a higher salary each season. No expensive sets or props, no need for costly alien prosthetics or puppetry.
*It's easier to relate to semi-realistic CGI characters than it is with unreal and often odd-looking cartoony characters.
*You can for a fairly low cost bring in cameos from the other Star Trek productions: Picard, Data, Worf, Riker, Q, Kira, Dukat, Dax, Seven of Nine, Ambassador Spock, or any and all of the Star Trek XI actors.

As far as I can see, a CGI show would definitely be a compelling continuation of the Star Trek saga.

So... what are your current thoughts regarding a CGI Star Trek series?

Very much in the positive-and I want to see a show or movie done in the style of this game trailer: Star Wars: The Old Republic

I wouldn't also mind seeing a traditional cel-animated anime show/movie/OAV in the style of Batman: Gotham Knight-that would be amazing beyond belief.

Middle Earther June 6 2009 08:53 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
As long as the stories are thought provoking and entertaining, I'm all for it!!

Temis the Vorta June 6 2009 09:09 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
No, I want live action for "official Trek." Fanfilms can use CGI, and there are no shortage of those.

xman June 7 2009 01:05 AM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
I voted 'yes' and would like to see an animated series, but suspect that an Anime series would be more fun to watch.

X

jefferiestubes8 June 9 2009 05:48 PM

Re: A Star trek CGI series
 
If the Borg were used as a character many 'extras' could be in the background but not just created as a CG character but using a AI model created in a videogame engine so they wouldn't have to be animated.

Actually other alien and human background action 'extras' could be done the same way.
It would add a lot of production value.

In Star Trek Nemesis on the SCE DVD the visual effects guys spoke about creating Romulus as a CG model during that big flyover and then having to add animated characters walking around.
Motion Capture is one thing like it was used in Resident Evil Degeneration in this behind-the-scenes video about the MoCap in RE:D but now these characters could be AI.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.