The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=94367)

The Borgified Corpse May 27 2009 04:27 AM

"Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
After all of the discussion of the different endings to Terminator Salvation, I thought we should get some numbers attached to this. Personally, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the movie was shite anyway. I'm not sure either ending satisfies me.

What did you folks think?

T'Baio May 27 2009 04:33 AM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
They should have stuck with their original idea of grafting Connor's skin onto Marcus' endoskeleton.

That was interesting in the way it turns the mythos' theme on its head.

trampledamage May 27 2009 04:35 AM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
I agree. Just think where they could have gone with the idea of the leader of the Resistance being a machine.

Although I don't think they should have grafted Connor's skin because that would mean Christian Bale playing him in the next movie. I think they should have just let it be Marcus taking on the name of Connor - since very few people know what he looks like anyway.

Skywalker May 27 2009 04:42 AM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
Quote:

trampledamage wrote: (Post 3011781)
Although I don't think they should have grafted Connor's skin because that would mean Christian Bale playing him in the next movie. I think they should have just let it be Marcus taking on the name of Connor - since very few people know what he looks like anyway.

If that's what they had planned to do, I would have been fine with the idea. But actually grafting Connor's skin onto Marcus' endoskeleton? No thanks.

Thrall May 27 2009 05:14 AM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
The original ending sounds stupid. They use dogs to spot Terminators. That right there puts a kink in things.

nx1701g May 27 2009 05:22 AM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
That isn't entirely the original ending. McG revealed what the actual final scenes would have been:

After Connor's skin was grafted onto Marcus' endoskeleton he would open his eyes and look at everyone in the room. He would have then killed everyone in attendance in the operating theatre. The final scenes were the camera zooming in on Connor/Marcus' face and the eyes flashing red.

Skywalker May 27 2009 05:35 AM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
Quote:

nx1701g wrote: (Post 3011891)
That isn't entirely the original ending. McG revealed what the actual final scenes would have been:

After Connor's skin was grafted onto Marcus' endoskeleton he would open his eyes and look at everyone in the room. He would have then killed everyone in attendance in the operating theatre. The final scenes were the camera zooming in on Connor/Marcus' face and the eyes flashing red.

I'm really glad they didn't go that route.

nx1701g May 27 2009 07:21 AM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
^ I think it could have been interesting, and would have been a more fitting end for the franchise.

Thrall May 27 2009 07:22 AM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
Quote:

nx1701g wrote: (Post 3012118)
^ I think it could have been interesting, and would have been a more fitting end for the franchise.

How? It kind of pisses all over it IMO.

JacksonArcher May 27 2009 07:25 AM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
I like the idea of Marcus taking over as Conner, but I think the skin grafting idea is a bit farfetched, even for this franchise.

DarKush May 27 2009 12:19 PM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
I think the original idea would've been a bolder choice and the storyline perhaps would've made more sense and been more satisfying. Even when they went in another direction, they seemed to have kept most of the previous storyline so the new tacked on ending just didn't feel right, particularly when Salvation remained more of Marcus's story than John's.

I definitely think a cyborg leading the resistance would be pretty ironic, interesting and open up some moments of character development/interaction sorely lacking from Salvation. How would his cell respond to him after the transplant? How would he feel? It would be this big secret that they would have to keep I suppose and could add a lot of internal drama, tension, and suspense.

Where it stands now is that John's relationship with his cell hasn't changed. They respect and revere him just like at the beginning of the film. Its a pretty static relationship. He still has to convince others that he's the best leader to follow I suppose, but I don't think that's as interesting as him having to do so while hiding such a big secret. Making him a cyborg adds an element of doubt, of fear, and perhaps even discovery that might have taken the Terminator franchise in a direction that really added something new to the Terminator franchise and made us see what came before in a different light instead of just playing in Cameron's, Hamilton's, and Arnold's sandbox, which isn't that bad since they constructed an awesome sandbox. It's just not that fresh.

Mr Light May 27 2009 02:52 PM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
I find these rebels doing a heart transplant far-fetched enough as it is, but doing a "Face/Off" on John Connor's body? That sounds even more ridiculous. They just stuck Marcus' super duper pumper heart into Connor. Hopefully in the next movie Connor will be slightly stronger and faster than your aver-age bear.

barnaclelapse May 27 2009 05:40 PM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
The ending they went with made sense since they were kind of working towards this whole Christ/Marcus metaphor anyway.

nx1701g May 27 2009 11:17 PM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
Quote:

Thrall wrote: (Post 3012122)
Quote:

nx1701g wrote: (Post 3012118)
^ I think it could have been interesting, and would have been a more fitting end for the franchise.

How? It kind of pisses all over it IMO.

It would have shown that Skynet always wins, which is sort of what I'm afraid the numbers may mean for the future of the franchise.

Thrall May 27 2009 11:39 PM

Re: "Terminator Salvation" ending POLL (Spoilers)
 
Quote:

nx1701g wrote: (Post 3014516)
Quote:

Thrall wrote: (Post 3012122)
Quote:

nx1701g wrote: (Post 3012118)
^ I think it could have been interesting, and would have been a more fitting end for the franchise.

How? It kind of pisses all over it IMO.

It would have shown that Skynet always wins, which is sort of what I'm afraid the numbers may mean for the future of the franchise.

But Skynet never wins. Conner always beats it one way or another.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.