The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Art (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=94273)

Professor Moriarty May 26 2009 12:39 PM

Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
MayaMan at the Foundation 3D website clued me in to the following link: an interview with the various visual effects professionals who worked on Star Trek.

Some interesting highlights:
  • Yet another answer for "how long is the Enterprise?" (This article puts her at 2,357 feet in length.)
  • Just about the entire sequence with Scotty in the "inert reactant" tubes was CGI.
  • Keenser had some extensive CGI plastic surgery.

ST-One May 26 2009 12:51 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
Quote:

Professor Moriarty wrote: (Post 3008408)
MayaMan at the Foundation 3D website clued me in to the following link: an interview with the various visual effects professionals who worked on Star Trek.

Some interesting highlights:
  • Yet another answer for "how long is the Enterprise?" (This article puts her at 2,357 feet in length.)
  • Just about the entire sequence with Scotty in the "inert reactant" tubes was CGI.
  • Keenser had some extensive CGI plastic surgery.

DD and ILM provide some really good work for this film. I knew the pipes were CG but I really couldn't see it.

Did I read that right? The cop's mask is entirely CG :eek: (or just enhanced with CG)?

Professor Moriarty May 26 2009 01:10 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
I just thought it was interesting that this article implies that the cop is a robot. In other interviews with J.J. I've seen him state that the airbike cop was a human being.

I agree that the pipe sequence was marvelously executed, and I suppose I figured that the pipe sequence had to be CGI--there's just no way Anheuser-Busch would allow Simon Pegg to swim around in their brewery tubes.











Of course that would explain a great deal about the taste of Budweiser.

ST-One May 26 2009 02:07 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
Quote:

Professor Moriarty wrote: (Post 3008437)
I just thought it was interesting that this article implies that the cop is a robot. In other interviews with J.J. I've seen him state that the airbike cop was a human being.

I agree that the pipe sequence was marvelously executed, and I suppose I figured that the pipe sequence had to be CGI--there's just no way Anheuser-Busch would allow Simon Pegg to swim around in their brewery tubes.











Of course that would explain a great deal about the taste of Budweiser.

:D

I think the artists just thought the cop was a robot because they had to add their magic to that mask.

sojourner May 26 2009 04:05 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
The part I found interesting is that the hull plating is not a uv map if I read that right. They developed some kind of procedural that actually hard modelled the plates. Cool!

Oh, and "we looked at cruiseships for detail" = we needed an excuse to expense that cruise to mexico we took.:lol:

Professor Moriarty May 26 2009 04:26 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
Quote:

sojourner wrote: (Post 3008873)
The part I found interesting is that the hull plating is not a uv map if I read that right. They developed some kind of procedural that actually hard modelled the plates.

??? I didn't see that... where did you read that?

Vektor May 26 2009 08:47 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
The way I read it, the only procedural hull plates were the ones that were created as debris from the explosions.

Professor Moriarty May 26 2009 08:52 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
^^^ That's what I read too.

sojourner May 26 2009 10:49 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
Maybe I read too much into it?

ncc-1017-e May 27 2009 01:34 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
Hey Professor, I cannot wait till Friday to see act1 !

Professor Moriarty May 29 2009 05:46 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
Sorry dude, you will have to wait a little longer :( I know, I suck.

ncc-1017-e May 29 2009 06:12 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
Hey guy take as long as you need!

TK421 May 29 2009 09:52 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
I had no idea those pipes were CGI. :eek:

TrekkieMonster May 29 2009 09:59 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
Quote:

Professor Moriarty wrote: (Post 3021206)
*snip* I know, I suck.

You have no idea how hard I'm biting my tongue right now. :p

Very interesting article.

Though, now I'm biting my tongue for an entirely different reason (will leave criticism of the movie to another forum.) ;)

ST-One May 29 2009 10:08 PM

Re: Star Trek (2009) visual effects article at CG Society
 
Quote:

TK421 wrote: (Post 3022056)
I had no idea those pipes were CGI. :eek:

I only knew because on one of the on-set photos you could see some of the orange coloured connection-pieces as practical elements, but there was no glass, and not even quite so many as in the film. But I really couldn't tell, in the film, what was CG and what was practical, on-set.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.