The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Spock's full name (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=93493)

Claudia May 19 2009 11:29 AM

Spock's full name

Googling for Spock's full name, I came across the Memory Beta-Wiki which lists his name as "S'chn T'gai Spock".

It goes on to say, "As is the case with most Vulcans, only his last name was used due to the difficulty non-Vulcans would have in pronouncing his full name, although on at least one occasion Spock revealed his full name."

Okay, now I'm looking for that at least one occasion. Was it in a TV-episode or one of the movies? Or a novel - if so which one?

Thanks. :)

captcalhoun May 19 2009 11:32 AM

Re: Spock's full name

it's from a novel. it's also wrong. everyone knows Spock's first name is Carl.

iguana_tonante May 19 2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Claudia wrote: (Post 2979134)
Googling for Spock's full name, I came across the Memory Beta-Wiki which lists his name as "S'chn T'gai Spock".

It goes on to say, "As is the case with most Vulcans, only his last name was used due to the difficulty non-Vulcans would have in pronouncing his full name, although on at least one occasion Spock revealed his full name."

Okay, now I'm looking for that at least one occasion. Was it in a TV-episode or one of the movies? Or a novel - if so which one?

Thanks. :)

It was from a novel. Memory Beta is a wiki for non-canonical information (novels, comics, chronologies, etc.) Very useful, but use the information at your own discretion. For canonical information, the reference is Memory Alpha.

Quote:

captcalhoun wrote: (Post 2979142)

Incorrect. It's Harold. His mom confirmed so.:vulcan:

MichaelS May 19 2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Or a novel - if so which one?

Ishmael, I believe.

Therin of Andor May 19 2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Okay, now I'm looking for that at least one occasion. Was it in a TV-episode or one of the movies?

If I recall, "This Side of Paradise" suggests that Leila Kalomi is aware of Spock's full name, but it's never been revealed canonically.

Stevil2001 May 19 2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

MichaelS wrote: (Post 2979181)
Quote:

Or a novel - if so which one?

Ishmael, I believe.

This is correct; Ishmael tells us that Spock's first name is S'chn T'gai Spock and that his father's is S'chn T'gai Sarek.

Spock doesn't "reveal" it to anyone, though; it's simply seen in a computer read-out as I recall.

Broccoli May 19 2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

captcalhoun wrote: (Post 2979142)

+1

Nardpuncher May 19 2009 01:46 PM

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=87848

Here's a thread I started about it a couple of months ago.

Christopher May 19 2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 2979241)
If I recall, "This Side of Paradise" suggests that Leila Kalomi is aware of Spock's full name, but it's never been revealed canonically.

Sorry, you don't recall. Leila said "You never told me if you have a first name," and Spock replied, "You couldn't pronounce it."

Claudia May 19 2009 02:47 PM

Thank you all!

@ Therin/Christopher, watching "This Side of Paradise" was what prompted my search and question here. *g*

Therin of Andor May 19 2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Claudia wrote: (Post 2979507)
Thank you all!

@ Therin/Christopher, watching "This Side of Paradise" was what prompted my search and question here. *g*

Yeah, I re-read the quotes on Memory Beta and it reminded me that Spock hadn't actually told her. That sectiion is rather messy, with all those references clumped together, essentially forcing researchers to read each book to sort out which factoid belongs to which resource.

By the way, in issue 2 of Spockanalia, the first Star Trek fanzine, Dorothy Fontana revealed that she had arbitrarily assigned Spock the family name "Xtmprsqzntwlfd". This name also turned up in the semi-pro, fan-produced "USS Enterprise Officers' Manual". (And, coupled with a humorous convention comment by Jane Wyatt, this is actually a first name and the pronunciation is "Harold".)

David R. George III May 20 2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 2979241)

Ian, that's close, but not quite accurate. Near the end of the episode, Leila says, "You never told me if you had another name, Mr. Spock," to which Spock replies (somewhat wryly, I would argue), "You couldn't pronounce it."

I know that some fans take this exchange to be an indication that Spock has "another name," and most seem to infer that it means that he has another given name. For me, this never quite rang true. Leila and Spock could be speaking about a Vulcan equivalent for his name, perhaps in an ancient tongue, or perhaps they are talking about a family name, or perhaps even some other name he might have had in his infancy or youth, as part of some Vulcan ritual of which Ms. Kalomi is aware but that the audience is not. Also, Spock's response might not indicate that he even has "another name," if he was, as I suggested, answering wryly.

Nerroth May 20 2009 04:34 AM

For all we know, maybe Vulcan-born children take on their mother's surname - and thus he could be Spock Grayson.

Or, perhaps,

Christopher May 20 2009 04:34 AM

Quote:

David R. George III wrote: (Post 2983256)
I know that some fans take this exchange to be an indication that Spock has "another name," and most seem to infer that it means that he has another given name. For me, this never quite rang true. Leila and Spock could be speaking about a Vulcan equivalent for his name, perhaps in an ancient tongue, or perhaps they are talking about a family name, or perhaps even some other name he might have had in his infancy or youth, as part of some Vulcan ritual of which Ms. Kalomi is aware but that the audience is not. Also, Spock's response might not indicate that he even has "another name," if he was, as I suggested, answering wryly.

I have to disagree. In the context of the scene, I don't see why she'd ask if he had some esoteric alternate form of his name or some old ritualized thing. The vibe I've always gotten off the scene is that it's a personal moment, she cares for him, and it's awkward to keep addressing him so formally as "Mr. Spock," so she's asking if there's a more familiar form of address she could use.

Kelso May 20 2009 05:18 AM

There is a family name. Amanda said that she could pronounce it "After a fashion, and after years of practice."