The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   "Thrusters on full" ~Spock (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=93276)

RoJoHen May 17 2009 11:29 PM

"Thrusters on full" ~Spock

Was this a weird line for anyone else? At the very end of the movie, when Kirk is promoted to Captain, we see Old Spock up in the rafters and he mutters this line.

I mean, I get what he's saying, but really? Thrusters on full? You don't have anything better? Maybe something about warp?

J. Allen May 17 2009 11:30 PM

Re: "Thrusters on full" ~Spock

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 2971793)
Was this a weird line for anyone else? At the very end of the movie, when Kirk is promoted to Captain, we see Old Spock up in the rafters and he mutters this line.

I mean, I get what he's saying, but really? Thrusters on full? You don't have anything better? Maybe something about warp?

I loved the line, myself. Spock knew that even in this reality, his old friend was still the same man at heart. I thought it rather endearing.

J.

RoJoHen May 17 2009 11:31 PM

I liked the intention of the line, just not the line itself. Thrusters just don't do anything for me. :lol:

Trekker4747 May 17 2009 11:31 PM

I took it as him recting a series of phrases that the crew said before getting underay on a new mission.

All Seeing Eye May 17 2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

You dont warp near space dock. DUH! ;)

RoJoHen May 17 2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Tachyon Shield wrote: (Post 2971802)
Quote:

You dont warp near space dock. DUH! ;)

And you sure as hell don't use your impulse engines, but Kirk did that all the time anyway!

startrekwatcher May 18 2009 12:26 AM

It was strange. I figured that in the very next scene we'd hear Kirk give that as an order showing Spock being back at this point in time stirred memories of their maiden voyage together.

It reminded me of the way the writers would invent an idiosyncrasy out of the blue for Janeway ie "Dark Frontier" and her twiddling her communcator.

Newspaper Taxi May 18 2009 01:04 AM

The line was an odd choice...But I'm sure it's the future equivelent of "Full speed ahead!".

Two little problems, though. He said it too quietly -- I didn't catch it on my first viewing -- and they cut away from the scene to quickly to really digest what had just transpired.

Joker May 18 2009 01:12 AM

It was symbolically passing the torch.

Phily B May 18 2009 01:13 AM

I liked the intention, I thought the line could've been better. What was Kirk's trademark like Engage?

Brutal Strudel May 18 2009 01:14 AM

He shoulda said "Pedal to the metal, Captain!"

Now that would have been meta!

M May 18 2009 01:15 AM

I didn't like the line either and said so in my initial review in the Grading and Discussion thread. It's just an incredibly odd and unimaginative thing to say for Spock. It didn't feel right. Honestly, I would have preferred if he said nothing at all. I mean, is this all the writers could come up with?

Joker May 18 2009 01:26 AM

"It didn't feel right".

"It's incredibly odd and unimaginative".

"Is this all the writers could come up with?".

Jesus Christ. It's one fucking line. It had one function: To show the passing of the torch from Spock's era to the new era. It functioned fine.

M May 18 2009 01:27 AM

Quote:

elton wrote: (Post 2972256)
It functioned fine.

Which doesn't mean that I have to like it. ;)

All Seeing Eye May 18 2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

elton wrote: (Post 2972256)
"It didn't feel right".

"It's incredibly odd and unimaginative".

"Is this all the writers could come up with?".

Jesus Christ. It's one fucking line. It had one function: To show the passing of the torch from Spock's era to the new era. It functioned fine.

Hmmmm, I think you're taking this far too seriously. :vulcan:

:lol: