The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Billy Campbell almost got Riker? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=91957)

Norrin Radd May 10 2009 04:59 PM

Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Wow, I'm no Frakes hater or anything...quite the contrary.

But Campbell as Riker is something I would've loved seeing.

Green Shirt May 10 2009 05:07 PM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
I don't know if Billy would have been able to pull off the Frakes/Riker stuffiness factor.

Hermiod May 10 2009 05:17 PM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Given how bad he was in his single appearance, I'm glad he didn't get it. Awful acting, awful character in an awful episode.

Cyke101 May 10 2009 05:27 PM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 2931329)
Given how bad he was in his single appearance, I'm glad he didn't get it. Awful acting, awful character in an awful episode.

I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I like everything else Campbell's been in. So it would be interesting to see Riker. Still, Riker isn't Riker if he doesn't have that weird tilted shoulder posture...

Norrin Radd May 10 2009 06:37 PM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 2931329)
Given how bad he was in his single appearance, I'm glad he didn't get it. Awful acting, awful character in an awful episode.

It was a bad episode, but I thought he was the best thing about it.

Praetor May 10 2009 08:27 PM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
I wonder if the folks who don't like Riker would have liked Billy Campbell's Riker?

Too Much Fun May 11 2009 06:53 AM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
I wonder if people would have called him "The Rikerteer". :p I love that movie. Way underrated. I seriously think it's one of the best comic book/superhero movies ever...right up there with "The Dark Knight", "X2: X-Men United", and "Spider-Man 2". Billy Campbell should be a bigger star just because that movie was so cool and he was great in it.

WillsBabe May 11 2009 07:09 AM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Quote:

Praetor wrote: (Post 2932362)
I wonder if the folks who don't like Riker would have liked Billy Campbell's Riker?

I'm wondering if I, who as we know, adored Frakes' Riker, would have loved Campbell's Riker as much? Or was it just Jon's pretty face I fell for? :confused:

Hermiod May 11 2009 07:12 AM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Quote:

Cyke101 wrote: (Post 2931370)
I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I like everything else Campbell's been in. So it would be interesting to see Riker. Still, Riker isn't Riker if he doesn't have that weird tilted shoulder posture...

I liked Campbell in The 4400, I don't recall seeing him in anything else. It's just that "The Outrageous Okona" was a bad episode and he did not give a good showing of himself.

Quote:

Norrin Radd wrote: (Post 2931715)
It was a bad episode, but I thought he was the best thing about it.

That's really not saying much.

Quote:

Praetor wrote: (Post 2932362)
I wonder if the folks who don't like Riker would have liked Billy Campbell's Riker?

That's the thing, I like Jonathan Frakes' Riker. I like TNG's entire cast just the way it was even if Sirtis is a Tottenham fan.

Too Much Fun May 11 2009 07:43 AM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 2935688)
I liked Campbell in The 4400, I don't recall seeing him in anything else.

WATCH "THE ROCKETEER". NOW. :cool: I think Campbell is great entirely based on that, but I don't think anybody would have been a better choice than Frakes. Just little things he brought to the role that no one else could have done make me believe that. For example, that really warm smile he had over things like Data acting out of character or Troi showing him affection and the way he was the only character who did "The Picard manuever" with his uniform almost as frequently as Patrick Stewart. That stuff isn't written, they're just the unique quirks the actor brings to the role and they are his and his alone that make the character more likable for them. Also, I don't think anyone could have hammed it up quite as entertainingly as Frakes did in "Frame of Mind" and no Frakes means no "Star Trek: First Contact" as it is (which some people on this forurm might prefer, but NOT ME!). :p

Hermiod May 11 2009 08:35 AM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Quote:

Too Much Fun wrote: (Post 2935786)
Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 2935688)
I liked Campbell in The 4400, I don't recall seeing him in anything else.

WATCH "THE ROCKETEER". NOW. :cool:

Um, no.

Red Ranger May 11 2009 10:16 AM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Would Campbell have grown a beard to set Riker apart from Kirk? Or would he have remained clean-shaven? Hmmm! -- RR

Savage Dragon May 11 2009 01:35 PM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
While I have always really liked Frakes as Riker but I can't help but wonder what Campbell's Riker would have been like.

Also, count me as a big fan of the Rocketeer too!

Too Much Fun May 12 2009 06:50 AM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 2935901)
Quote:

Too Much Fun wrote: (Post 2935786)
Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 2935688)
I liked Campbell in The 4400, I don't recall seeing him in anything else.

WATCH "THE ROCKETEER". NOW. :cool:

Um, no.

Suit yourself, but I say you're missing out.

Kira Nerys May 14 2009 11:45 PM

Re: Billy Campbell almost got Riker?
 
I am so glad that Frakes got the role after reading that.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.