The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=90515)

C.E. Evans May 1 2009 04:11 AM

Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Okay, maybe it won't actually become the G.I. Joe/Transformers Channel, but Discovery Communications and Hasbro have announced their plans to transform (no pun intended) the Discovery Kids Channel into a new network that showcases the best of both companies. So alongside existing Discovery Kids shows like Bindi The Jungle Girl, Turenstein, and Endurance, will be shows based on Hasbro properties such as G.I. Joe, Transformers, and My Little Pony.
http://www.hasbro.com/corporate/medi...nt-venture.cfm
Quote:

“This joint venture reinforces Discovery’s strategy to develop strong brands, maximize the potential of our extensive distribution in the U.S. and work with the highest quality content partners to create long-term value,” said David Zaslav, President and CEO of Discovery Communications. “Brian Goldner and the dynamic management team at Hasbro have a long track record of developing well-respected quality brands that entertain and encourage creative play. The combined assets of both partners provide a compelling platform for building a trusted children’s destination that engages and enlightens a thirsty and growing audience.”
Quote:

At the closing of the transaction, Hasbro will purchase a 50% stake in the venture, which will hold the assets related to Discovery Kids Network in the U.S., for which Discovery Communications will receive $300 million. The joint venture’s rebranded network is expected to debut in late 2010 reaching approximately 60 million Nielsen households in the U.S. with programming geared to boys and girls 14 years of age and under. The joint venture also will participate in merchandising opportunities associated with on-air content.

Hasbro will also make a separate investment to establish a creative team that will allow Hasbro to create and produce the consumer-driven content children and families have come to expect from Hasbro’s unmatched brands. Creative work will start in the next few months beginning with early stage development for properties including ROMPER ROOM, TONKA, G.I. JOE, TRANSFORMERS and MY LITTLE PONY. The creative team will have the capability to produce animated, live-action, and game show programming as well as content designed for digital and mobile extensions.

In the tradition of Discovery Kids, this will include a number of daily hours voluntarily devoted to educational/informative content.

Warp Coil May 1 2009 10:25 PM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
I was joking about this with some co-workers today. I think it would be fun (read: awesome but completely inappropriate) to create animated versions of Discovery's programs to put on the new kids network. Animated Deadliest Catch? Fisherman against giant mutant crabs? Imagine the possibilities! And imagine selling action figures and toy boats! I dunno why, but the idea just amused me.

Dusty Ayres May 2 2009 10:35 AM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Oh yes, great idea.:rolleyes:

If the various watchdog organizations weren't bitching about children's TV before, they'll be doing so now. Not to mention or forget the antiwar movement and the bloggers.

Really smart idea, guys.:rolleyes:

Christopher May 3 2009 03:14 AM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
I wonder if this means Transformers Animated will switch networks.

C.E. Evans May 3 2009 04:39 AM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 2896620)
I wonder if this means Transformers Animated will switch networks.

Anything is possible, but I think it will only be as repeats.

According to the press release from Hasbro, they seem to be headed for yet another new Transformers series--Transformers: [INSERT KEWL NEW SUBTITLE HERE]...

miraclefan May 3 2009 04:45 AM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Well if toy companies are going to sell there stuff they have to brain-wash the kids early!

Christopher May 3 2009 02:54 PM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Quote:

C.E. Evans wrote: (Post 2896872)
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 2896620)
I wonder if this means Transformers Animated will switch networks.

Anything is possible, but I think it will only be as repeats.

According to the press release from Hasbro, they seem to be headed for yet another new Transformers series--Transformers: [INSERT KEWL NEW SUBTITLE HERE]...

Well, I hope it's in the TF:A continuity and from the same creators. Aside from the Beast duology, TF:A is the only Transformers show I've ever gotten into.

Bishbot May 3 2009 06:19 PM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 2897798)
Well, I hope it's in the TF:A continuity and from the same creators. Aside from the Beast duology, TF:A is the only Transformers show I've ever gotten into.

Me too. Well, I like G1, because I liked it when I was a kid and the characters are iconic, but I know it's not a genuinely good show, which Animated really is.

I think the Movie toys are selling a lot better than the Animated ones though, so I wouldn't hold your breath - and this season is over in three weeks, with a two-parter entitled "Endgame".

Then again, Hasbro must have been paying attention to the positive reactions that Animated has garnered, so they might go with the same creative team, even if the show is in a different continuity.

Captain Craig May 3 2009 11:17 PM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Quote:

C.E. Evans wrote: (Post 2896872)
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 2896620)
I wonder if this means Transformers Animated will switch networks.

Anything is possible, but I think it will only be as repeats.

According to the press release from Hasbro, they seem to be headed for yet another new Transformers series--Transformers: [INSERT KEWL NEW SUBTITLE HERE]...

I think they should make an animated show based on the movie toys and original toys not seen in the movie(s).

Cutter John May 4 2009 05:04 AM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
“This joint venture reinforces Discovery’s strategy to develop strong brands, maximize the potential of our extensive distribution in the U.S. and work with the highest quality content partners to create long-term value,” said David Zaslav, President and CEO of Discovery Communications. “Brian Goldner and the dynamic management team at Hasbro have a long track record of developing well-respected quality brands that entertain and encourage creative play. The combined assets of both partners provide a compelling platform for building a trusted children’s destination that engages and enlightens a thirsty and growing audience.”


All I know is I'd like to punch anyone who actually talks like this really, really hard.

Bishbot May 4 2009 09:50 AM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Quote:

Captain Craig wrote: (Post 2899109)
I think they should make an animated show based on the movie toys and original toys not seen in the movie(s).

That'd make sense from a business standpoint but I really hope they don't go this way. The movies are fun (well, I assume the second one will be), but the only thing they add to the Transformers experience is seeing the action in widescreen live-action - that's a great thing, but it can't be replicated in a saturday morning cartoon, so I'd much rather they play to their strengths and come up with something like Animated, or Beast Wars - something character and mythology based.

Warp Coil May 4 2009 08:20 PM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Quote:

Cutter John wrote: (Post 2900073)
“This joint venture reinforces Discovery’s strategy to develop strong brands, maximize the potential of our extensive distribution in the U.S. and work with the highest quality content partners to create long-term value,” said David Zaslav, President and CEO of Discovery Communications. “Brian Goldner and the dynamic management team at Hasbro have a long track record of developing well-respected quality brands that entertain and encourage creative play. The combined assets of both partners provide a compelling platform for building a trusted children’s destination that engages and enlightens a thirsty and growing audience.”


All I know is I'd like to punch anyone who actually talks like this really, really hard.

As an employee, I can tell you that all of Discovery's press releases and announcements sound like this.

Dusty Ayres May 7 2009 03:18 AM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Like I predicted, here's the reaction of a watchdog group:

Quote:

The ink was barely dry on the press release before activist groups started blasting the new channel.
"This partnership represents a new low in children's television, a network devoted to showing informericals for Hasbro's toys and games," said Dr. Susan Linn, director of Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood, a Boston-based children's advocacy group. Commercial Alert, a Washington, D.C.-based watchdog group, said the venture "sounds like nothing more than a scheme to deliver program-length advertisements to children."

Though Hasbro will provide original programming for the channel, Zaslav and Goldner dismissed complaints that the new service will be little more than an infomercial for the toy maker.

"This network will not be successful if it is overly commercialized," Goldner said.
Watchdog group's reaction to Discovery/Hasbro deal

Bishbot May 7 2009 08:40 AM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Quote:

Dusty Ayres wrote: (Post 2912090)
Like I predicted, here's the reaction of a watchdog group:

Quote:

The ink was barely dry on the press release before activist groups started blasting the new channel.
"This partnership represents a new low in children's television, a network devoted to showing informericals for Hasbro's toys and games," said Dr. Susan Linn, director of Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood, a Boston-based children's advocacy group. Commercial Alert, a Washington, D.C.-based watchdog group, said the venture "sounds like nothing more than a scheme to deliver program-length advertisements to children."

Though Hasbro will provide original programming for the channel, Zaslav and Goldner dismissed complaints that the new service will be little more than an infomercial for the toy maker.

"This network will not be successful if it is overly commercialized," Goldner said.
Watchdog group's reaction to Discovery/Hasbro deal

Idiots. It's not the 80's anymore. I admit I can't speak for whichever other cartoons are going to be on it, but TF:A is a lot more than a glorified toy commercial. In fact, these days, if you want toys based on a lot of the characters in it you'll be out of luck. Hasbro has no plans to release a lot of characters you'd think would be obvious locks, like The Constructicons.

USS Triumphant May 7 2009 05:18 PM

Re: Discovery Kids to become GI Joe/Transformers Channel (kind of)
 
Quote:

Bishbot wrote: (Post 2898159)
and this season is over in three weeks, with a two-parter entitled "Endgame".

NO!!!! Rodimus Prime comes back from the future with Batmobile armor for Optimus?! NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Quote:

Cutter John wrote: (Post 2900073)
All I know is I'd like to punch anyone who actually talks like this really, really hard.

And I, I would really like to see you do this punching, Cutter John. :techman:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.